Chapter 13

The doorbell rang, it's strident sound reaching Delilah in her room. She cursed, throwing on a top and the first shorts she found, thanking God that most of her clothes more-or-less went together.

"Eli!" yelled her aunt. "It's Kiara!"

"Coming!"

If it wasn't for her friend's ability to convince her, Delilah would have stayed home tonight. The excitement of the day had drained her more than she thought. 

Kiara, who was not known for her patience, barged into the room, walking in on her friend having an intense staring contest with herself in the mirror.

"Am I interrupting something?" she teased.

Delilah rolled her eyes, unable to answer with a toothbrush in her mouth. 

The curly haired girl perched herself on the counter in the room's adjoined bathroom, curiously looking around. "I haven't been here in quite some time. It feels good to have you around again." 

When seeing that she wasn't done, Kiara kept talking. "I've never seen the boys talk about someone the way they talk about you. It's amazing."

Delilah laughed, putting away her toothpaste in the cupboard above her head. "Well, I like them too. They're fun."

Kiara huffed. "I wish you'd fall in love with one of them, that way you'd come here more often."

"Oh, honey, I wish," pouted the blonde girl. "But now that I'm older, I can travel more, so I'll come here often."

"You better."

"Now, what about you?" she said slyly, leaning against the wall. "Any torrid love affair going on?"

Kiara waved away her question. "No Pogue on Pogue, remember?"

"Nonsense," she answered. "Something's bound to happen."

The girl shrugged. "It'd be too complicated."

Seeing that something was on her mind, Delilah didn't push the matter any further, instead changing the subject. "Please tell me you're going to midsummers."

Kiara grimaced. "I don't have much of a choice. How are things going between Rafe and you? I.. heard stuff."

She pursed her lips. "It's complicated. I want to punch him."

"We can go with that, it helps to blow off some steam," innocently suggested the girl.

Delilah rolled her eyes in response. "Yeah, of course."

She could tell that discussing Rafe with Kiara wouldn't do any good. She was much too biased in that matter, and rightfully so. 

Chatting of lighter matters, they made their way downstairs, wishing a good evening to her aunt and uncle as they passed. 

Feeling guilty for not having brought any snacks or drinks, Delilah volunteered to drag Kiara's cooler down the streets. 

The sun had set by the time they arrived at the outdoor movie and several families had already chosen their spots. She grinned at the sight of JJ and Pope, who waved to attract their attention, sitting on a blanket.

"Welcome to the summer movie series," said the voice of an announcer as they sat down by the boys.

"Back to OBX life," smirked Kiara, settling comfortably on the blanket. "Aren't you glad I made you come?"

"Ecstatic," distractedly mumbled Pope, looking around.

Delilah would have found his choice of words cute, but the thought was overruled by her worry. It was obvious how nervous he was about being on Kook territory.