Chapter 17

The excitement of the previous night had exhausted both Delilah and Pope more than they had expected. 

But it wasn't the light of the sun pouring into the room that woke them up. It was a gasp as Kiara threw open the door to her friend's bedroom. The sound, although silent, was enough to pull Delilah out of her slumber. 

She slowly blinked her eyes open, trying not to stir and bother Pope, to no avail. Pope stretched his arms over his head, taking no notice of the gaping girl in the doorway.

"Good morning," he yawned.

"Good morning," smiled Delilah, glancing toward Kiara in order to watch her reaction.

"What about me?" asked the curly haired girl, raising an eyebrow and snapping out of her surprise.

Pope yelped, scrambling away from Delilah, his cheeks burning red. The girl chuckled, amused, but couldn't help the disappointment she felt as the warmth of his body left her. 

Instead, she focused on Kiara's expression, trying to discern the underlying emotions in her brown eyes. It was usually easy to know how the girl felt, as she wore her feelings in her facial expressions. This time, though, she was making an effort to remain chill. Jealousy? Delilah wasn't sure. The unexpectedness of the situation was making it hard to discern.

"If it wasn't for midsummers, I'd give y'all some privacy, but...." Kiara said apologetically, a playful smirk on her lips.

"All good," hurriedly mumbled Pope, running a hand through his hair.

"I'll walk him out," said Delilah with a small smile. "Coming back."

She'd forgotten that Kiara was going to help her get ready for Midsummer's and felt guilty for it. Pope followed silently as she walked down the steps, picking up an apple from the bowl on the kitchen counter.

"Here," she said, tossing him the apple. "An apology for not being able to give you breakfast."

He gasped, pressing a hand to his chest and faking a shocked expression. "Oh, no. The girl that housed me, allowed me to take a shower and tended to my wounds, won't make me breakfast. What a lack of manners."

Delilah rolled her eyes. "I'm kicking you out, dirty Pogue."

"Snotty Kook."

They both laughed, standing outside the door of the Thompson mansion.

"Honestly, though," said Pope, sobering up. "Thank you for taking care of me."

"Anytime, Pope, really," she smiled.

"I'll see you soon?" he asked, hopeful.

"You can't get rid of me that easily," she grinned.

He didn't want to leave, that much she could tell. But Kiara's presence in the room on the second floor hastened their goodbyes. Waving, Delilah watched as Pope disappeared into the woods. 

When she went back to her room, Kiara was sitting cross legged on her couch, staring at her expectedly.

"Well?" she demanded.

"Well, what?" frowned Delilah, wondering where her friend was going.

"Well, what happened last night?"

Delilah sighed, sitting down beside her. "The question seems to bother you."

Kiara fell silent. She hadn't been expecting the sudden change of subject.

"Do you like him?" silently asked Delilah.

The curly haired girl shook her head. "Pope used to have a crush on me and I got used to having his attention all the time. I guess it just feels weird to see him with another girl." She sighed. "I shouldn't think like this. It isn't fair for Pope."

Delilah gently grabbed her friend's hands, concern clouding her eyes. "I'm not taking your place, you know that, right? The boys still love you just as much."

A genuine grin painted itself on Kiara's beautiful face. "I hope you don't think I'm not enjoying your integration with the Pogues. It's the best thing that's happened in months!"

"Aw, Kie!" Relieved, Delilah wrapped her arms around her friend, holding her tightly.

"Girl, go for Pope," whispered Kiara. "It'll be good for the both of you. And you'll come visit more often!"

The blonde girl laughed, letting her hair fall in front of her face and hiding her rising blush. "Woah, take it slow. We're just friends."

Kiara rolled her eyes, grumbling something under her breath. 

A hesitant knock interrupted their conversation and Ross pushed open the door, wearing a frown on his face. "Eli? The Heyward boy is at the door. He looks on the verge of a panic attack."

Without a word, Delilah stood, bolting for the door. Her uncle moved to the side, knowing he would be run over if he didn't. The worry on his niece's face was enough for him not to ask any questions. Kiara followed close behind.

"Pope! What's going on?" hurriedly asked Delilah as she leaped down the stairs.

"JJ..." panted Pope, chest heaving up and down. "He... he got arrested."

The poor boy looked lost, his eyes glazing over as he tried to process what had happened.

"Details, Pope, we need details," said Kiara, pressing him further, anxiety straining her tone.

"He took the blame," whispered Pope, still in shock.

The full situation suddenly appeared clearly in Delilah's mind.

They don't give scholarships to kids who vengefully sink boats.

JJ had taken the blame. He'd saved Pope's future. Her heart squeezed on itself.

"Hey," she said softly, cupping Pope's face in her hands. "Everything will be fine."

"It's my fault. It's all my fault."

"We made a mistake," she soothed him. "JJ protected you, and that was his decision."

His eyes closed, listening as she reassured him. Her words pushed away his worries with their soft confidence. She sounded so certain of what she was saying, and he was desperate to believe her.

"His father is going to beat him up," darkly said Kiara, cutting through his peacefulness as surely as a knife.

"We have to bail him out," he firmly said.

Delilah nodded sharply. "We will. Uncle Ross?"

The man had been standing in the hall, at a respectful distance, but enough to be there if an adult was needed.

"Do you need a ride?" he asked, not needing an answer as he grabbed his keys. "Lets go."

Pogues stuck up for each other, and there was no way she was leaving JJ on his own.

A/N Hello folks! So, I promised another chapter in a near future, I hope this makes up for it.

-Aella