Isildur's Bane Destroyed

𝔄𝔯𝔞𝔤𝔬𝔯𝔫

       He had rallied the armies of the west in one last desperate attempt to give Frodo the time to throw the ring into the fires of Mount Doom. For all men, this was their last hope, but it was particularly so for Aragorn son of Arathorn.

       Simply put, his entire life had led him to this moment. Until the age of twenty, he had lived in Rivendell, not knowing his heritage. Here he had learned many wise things, and above all, learned to hate the work of Sauron.

       At the age of twenty, he had learned of his great lineage and had also fallen desperately in love with the beautiful Arwen Undomiel. Intertwined these things were, for as time passed the wise Elrond saw that his foster son loved his daughter, and he also saw his daughter begin to reciprocate those feelings. Elrond, therefore, proclaimed that the only way he would be willing to leave Arwen in Middle Earth to live a mortal life, was if she was married to the High King of Gondor and Arnor. Aragorn was the exiled king, in direct lineage to these thrones.

       Therefore, Aragorn's battle against Sauron was rooted not only in a deep hatred for things that were evil but also the desire to marry the only one he had ever loved. Standing before the black gate of Mordor, and seeing the army of Sauron scatter, Aragorn stood amazed. He watched as the enemy he had so long been fighting fled before him. Touching the green gem, he whispered in awe, "Cova meleth nin." (together my love.)

       He was brought out of his trance by the cries of the battle that still rose from the mouths of the men who were in the service of Sauron, and the cries of the eagles as they carried Gandalf to Mount Doom.

       Though the battle continued, the men of Southron were few; briefly did Aragorn parley with the men that remained, for many among his company were wounded, and he wished to help them. He soon left the Prince of Dol Amroth to continue the fight, and he began to go amongst the people, seeking out those most grievously hurt.

       One of the men had a serious wound to his abdomen. Legolas was doing his best to bandage the wound, but he was only narrowly successful. This being done he turned to his friend, "Aragorn, they will not make it to Minas Tirith. Joy now lends them strength, but many would perish if we should attempt to return now."

       "Where then should I take them? I would not leave them here where the stench of Sauron lingers still."

"Take them to the forest of Ithilien. The air there is still fresh and unpolluted. We will find supplies that Faramir has left there."

       "So it shall be,"  Aragorn said nodding his head slightly. Directing all of the men who had escaped injury, to help those who had been seriously injured, they began their trek towards Ithilien.

       Once they arrived at Ithilien, Aragorn was not surprised to see that Gandalf had already arrived, and was caring for Frodo and Sam.  The wounded were gently laid in hammocks, swung on the bows of the forest trees. Athelas was found growing hidden in the forest. Many a wound was healed that day at the hand of the King, for the hands of the King were the hands of a healer.

       As Aragorn walked amongst the wounded, helping those who were hurt, he could feel the presence of Arwen. Many times, he could hear her teaching him the lore of herbs and medicine as it is known to the elves.  Indeed many marveled that day at the gentleness of his touch and the light that shone in his eyes.

       A fortnight passed, many were healed, and all awoke from the curse of the black breath. People came and went between Ithilien and Minas Tirith, but Aragorn remained, for there were two that had yet to awaken. Frodo and Sam, weary from their long battle were still enjoying a peaceful sleep among the trees of Ithilien.

       It was early morning and he sat with Gandalf and cared for them. "They shall wake today," Aragorn said with pleasure. "Yes, so they shall," Gandalf said, his eyes twinkling. "Come now, you must continue in your preparations for the feast!" Aragorn smiled, and walked away, leaving Gandalf to keep watch over the halflings.

       As he prepared, Aragorn found himself singing a song that had not risen to his lips in a long while. "As Beren looked into her eyes Within the shadows of her hair, The trembling starlight of the skies..." He smiled as he thought of Arwen. To think that at last, she should be his, and they would live together in peace and harmony. (https://youtu.be/11_aneHVaz8)

       At last, the time came for the feast to be held. Sitting on the throne that had been constructed, Aragorn greeted the hobbits with joy.

'Well, if this isn't the crown of all!' Sam said. 'Strider, or I'm still asleep!'

'Yes, Sam, Strider,' said Aragorn. 'It is a long way, is it not, from Bree, where you did not like the look of me? A long way for us all, but yours has been the darkest road.'  Aragorn said with a smile, and placing them on either side of him, he proclaimed, "Praise them with great praise!" The celebration continued with Frodo and Sam being reunited with Gimli and Legolas as well as their kinsman, Meriadoc and Peregrin.

       The feast had ended, and all had awakened, but the healing and the battle had not. Many of the Southrons continued to fight, and often Aragorn and Eomer rode out together to subdue the remnants of Sauron's rebellion. Days passed, and preparations for the return to Minas Tirith were at last complete.

       They journeyed until on the eve of May they camped on the fields of Pelennor in sight of the white tower. In the light of the morning, and on the first day of Spring, the king would enter the city. A question in his heart still remained, "Would Gondor accept her king?"

Hello, mellon nin! So I apologize if you wanted to jump straight to the royal wedding. You can if you would like, but I wanted to make sure we really had a good explanation of the time between the tossing of the ring and the wedding. The movies made me think they threw it in, and a few days later, Arwen shows up, and the wedding happens.

𝓐𝓵𝓪𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓸𝓷 𝓷𝓲𝓷