A Journey to the White City

Arwen had never been impatient like this before. As an elf, one is rarely impatient, as you expect to have the rest of time spread before you to do any task. It seemed to her that after the ring had been destroyed, her father was taking more than the necessary amount of time to prepare for their trip.

       Today was the day at last she thought. Today she would begin her journey to the city of Minas Tirith. At her father's insistence, she rode in a palfrey carried by noble elves of the house of Elrond. It was a bittersweet journey for all, for all knew that at the end of the journey, Arwen would leave the race of elves for that of men.

       Many leagues they passed daily, till they came to Lothlorien, and there she was greeted by her grandmother and grandfather, along with many of the other fair folk of Lorien. The journey continued to pass by in a dreamlike state. As all of the companions in this journey were elves, there was no need for them to stop at night, for as they walked, they feasted their eyes on the new growth of flowers and other plants that had appeared, and they were rested.

       Just as her father had planned, they arrived at the city of Minas Tirith at sunset, as the golden rays of the sunset in the west, she gazed with pleasure on the stars that she could see in the frosty sky. These captured her gaze for only a moment, for at the repaired gate of Gondor stood a man. Taller than many elves, with broad shoulders that attested to years of fighting, shoulder-length dark hair, and eyes as grey as a stormy sea.

       Arwen watched as King Elessar welcomed his guests. When he came to her father, she watched in amusement as they both bowed to each other out of respect. Gently Elrond placed in the hand of his foster son the sceptre of Annúminas. Then turning to Arwen he helped her out of the palfrey, and taking her hand, he placed it in Aragorn's. As Elrond did this, tears welled up in his eyes, though none spilled over. Hand in hand with her lover, Arwen turned to enter the gates. As she did, she turned to Aragorn and whispered in his ear, "Cova meleth nin." Aragorn smiled at these words, and holding her hand tightly, they crossed through the threshold, into the city of Minas Tirith. Thus Arwen entered the white city of Gondor.

       The elves were lead to each of their accommodations by servants of Gondor, but for Arwen and Elrond, the king himself lead them to their apartment. Arwen walked over to the balcony, opened the doors, and stepped out onto it. Aragorn quietly stepped out and joined her. The clear sky was illuminated with many stars, and upon these Arwen gazed. Turning to Aragorn she smiled, "You have changed meleth nin," she whispered softly.

Aragorn smiled and gently took her hand and kissed it, "How is that?"

"You no longer carry yourself as a ranger and an exiled king, you carry yourself to the full extent of your lineage, you carry yourself as the king of Gondor."

"And you carry yourself as the daughter of Elrond and future queen of Gondor," Aragorn whispered, before leaning in to kiss her on the lips. His bearded chin tickled her smooth face, as their lips met. For a second they lingered there, enveloped in the sweetness of their kiss, but at last, they pulled away. For a moment longer, they stood on the balcony gazing over the realm of Gondor, but at last, Aragorn bowed slightly with a mischievous smile, and said, "rest well your highness," as he kissed her hand.

       Arwen remained on the balcony and was soon joined by her father. Together they gazed upon the renewed beauty of Gondor and rested themselves in the manner of the elves. Along all of the balconies on the seventh tier of Minas Tirith stood the company of elves, white light shining forth from them as they blessed the city.

       Arwen ascertained that it was near four o'clock in the morning, but a slight pull came to her, and, coming out of the balcony she passed through many doors until she, at last, came to the library of the king. A large table was in the middle of the room, strewn with many books and parchments, all lighted by a small chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Softly walking forward Arwen saw that amongst the stacks of books, his head pillowed on an open one, the king of Gondor sat in his chair, his head laid down in weariness when sleep finally overtook him.

       Arwen looked with pity upon him, she could see the weariness that he attempted to hide from everyone etched on his face. A slight noise behind her made her turn around. She was surprised to see her brothers Elladan and Elrohir. They carried with them a large blanket.

"Come," one said, "We have found him like this only moments earlier. It would not do for him to sleep here. We must carry him to his room."

Working together, they gently laid Aragorn upon the blanket as though it was a hammock. In his weariness, he did not awaken. He was carefully carried throughout the halls till at last, they came to his chamber. They carefully laid him in bed, and as they did, Aragorn smiled in his sleep, and murmured, "Cova meleth nin."

       Arwen smiled as a tear slowly traveled down her cheek, and she whispered back, "Yes Estel, together. Now rest." Kissing him gently on the brow, she left to have a word with the guard that they should on no account awaken the king until nine o'clock. While she did this her brothers drew curtains over the windows to block out any light that might shine through and awaken him.

       Arwen quietly rejoined her father on the balcony, and together they watched the sunrise over the mountains and spill its light upon Gondor. Turning to Arwen, Elrond whispered, "Today, my daughter, you shall forsake the elves, and you shall live as a woman. My heart was at one time against this, but on this day, though my heart is heavy, I rejoice for you. It is not only you that I rejoice for, Arwen. I rejoice also for Estel. Long has been his road, and little rest has he taken. With Sauron defeated, and his queen at his side, he shall finally find peace." Arwen's heart bounded at her father's proclamation, and together they returned to their chambers.

       in her chamber, Arwen found many beautiful maids of Gondor there to help her dress. In their hands was an exquisite silk gown, embroidered with mithril thread. Together they helped her dress for the day that would change her life.

Hello friends! I have really enjoyed writing this. I might even switch to uploading every Friday.

I hope that you all have a great day!

𝓐𝓵𝓪𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓸𝓷 𝓷𝓲𝓷