Epilogue part 2

It has been more than a year since we have visited our beloved king and queen, but just now, something very important is occurring, and we must hasten to see. It is four o'clock in the morning on a promising August day, The tree of Gondor is flourishing, and throughout most of the city, there is peace. One house is not quite so peaceful.

       Earlier that morning, a reckless figure could have been seen running down through the city. He was dressed in leather pants and a thin linen shirt that allowed one to see the well-formed figure of the wearer through the thin cloth. His face was creased with worry, and every turn that he made only seemed to make his feet move ever fast. When at last, the man reached his destination, he pounded breathlessly on the door.

       The door was opened by a woman, dressed in a nightcap and nightgown, obviously having just risen from her bed at the sound of the door. At the sight of the man, she exclaimed, "Goodness me, is it time?" The man nodded desperately, taking his breaths in gulps as he attempted to get his breath back. "Well don't you worry, I will gather all that is necessary, and a few of the young ones to help me out. We won't dawdle" The man nodded and returned the way he had come.

       In the entire exchange, he had not said a word, but the look on his face was one of mixed hope and fear. Arriving breathlessly back at his own door, he waited for a moment to collect himself before walking back in.

"Arwen, meleth nin," he whispered, taking her hand and rubbing it gently, "strength meleth nin, it is going to be okay. I have called for Ioreth, she shall be here soon." Arwen nodded before gasping in pain. Grasping her hand tightly, Aragorn stood helplessly with her until the pain left her for a moment.

       It seemed like hours to Aragorn, but only moments later, Ioreth and a few young women arrived. They carefully went about their work as Aragorn stood by her side, feeling absolutely useless as his wife cried out in pain. At last, her cries came no more, but the cries of another voice were heard. Aragorn looked at Arwen and chuckled in relief, she too smiled. Both of them turned their eyes to the small bundle in Ioreth's arms. "A son your Majesties," she whispered, gently placing him in Arwens' arms. 

       Aragorn could hardly tear his gaze away from the baby in his wife's arms, and when he did, it was to look at Arwen. He gazed at both of them with such tenderness that Ioreth had to leave the room to have a good cry. Aragorn hardly noticed. Surely goodness and mercy had followed him, and his household would live in peace. After a moment, the baby was carefully transferred to Aragorn's arms. Tenderly holding the wondrous new life in his arms, he looked back to Arwen, tears running down his cheeks. "Cova meleth nin," he whispered. She smiled and placed her hand gently on his leg.

       It was two days before Aragorn would allow Arwen to get out of bed, though she insisted that she would be fine, he carefully guarded her and the child, not content unless both were in his sight. On the second day, they stood together before the people of Gondor, announcing the birth of their son, Eldarion.

      The entire crowd cheered for joy, as the entire city paused to celebrate. Arwen and Aragorn did as well, but differently than most. In the garden while Eldarion slept in his cradle nearby, the two sat, hand in hand, hardly speaking a word to each other but letting the deep joy that they found in each other flow between them. They sat very still for some time, but at last, Arwen stirred, and gently taking her husband's face in her hands, she kissed it. Aragorn did not hesitate to respond, and gently caressing her, he returned it.