Chapter 1

Christmas has arrived at Smurf's village! On Christmas Eve, everybody went up to their ladders, and decorated their house wit colorful lightbulbs, and put stockings in each house, and hung the mistletoe on the doorway.

Here they come - the Papa Smurf, with a holly on his red hat, Smurfette, Clumsy, Hefty, holding the Christmas Carol Song book, and sings!

While singing, the Caroler Parade greeted everyone - waving their hands and smiling each other.

"♬Smurf the Halls with boughs of Holly, Fa la la la la- la la la la!
Tis the Season to be Jolly, Fa la la la la- la la la la!
Don we now our white apparel, Fa la la, la la la, la la la!
Troll the Ancient Yule tide Carol, Fa la la la la- la la la la...."

The Carol went down. The Smurf's Carol Parade has stopped, and their face went bad. Everyone gasped.

"What, in blue blazes!" said one of the Smurfs.

"Grouchy's house is as bear as the Smurfling's bottom!" cried Hefty.

Yes, there was. Grouchy's house was very empty. No decorations, no mistletoe, no Christmas tree, nothing!

Papa Smurf immidately ran to Grouchy's house, leaving the Carol book nearby.

"Oh, my!" said Smurfette, with worried eyes, hold her hand towards her face.

Papa Smurf knocked on the Grouchy's door, while the others caught up with him. Then he said, "Grouchy, what's wrong?"

The grumpy voice flowed through the doorway.

"Oh, you mean other than being bothered by Carolers, who aren't even in tune, by the way." It was Grouchy himself.

"Oof, what's gotten into him?" asked one of the Smurfs.

"What do you mean?" returned Brainy. "He's always, uh, Grouchy."

"Yeah, but, not at the holidays," said the Smurf.

"Yeah, you always decorated for the holidays," said the other.

Finally Grouchy opened the door, with an angry face, hurridly went over to the snow-covered firewood pile.

"Uh, I hate decorations," he said.

"Okay, but you'll still coming to the big party tonight, right?" said one Smurf.

"Every Smurf helps decorate the tree!" said Brainy.

"You call that puny twig a tree?" asked Grouchy, holding up the firewoods. "Ha ha, count me out!"

"But, we always decorated as a family," said Smurfette, hugging the Smurf next to her. Then that Smurf added,

"Yeah, and you always put the star on top of the tree!"

"He's right, Grouchy," said Papa Smurf, smiling, "That very important task belongs to you!"

Grouchy didn't like to hear all this stuff. He said,

"You know what? I hate tasks. I hate stars, mistletoe, candycane, stockings and fruit cake!"

Everyone was nonplus.

"I, hate, Christmas!" yelled Grouchy, then closed the door hard. The snow from the roof fell down into Brainy and he become the Smurf-Snowman.

"How can someone hate fruit cake? It's delicious!" said one of the Smurfs.

"Oh, Papa, you need to do something!" said Smurfette, coming towards Papa Smurf.

"It's just, won't be the same if we cannot celebrate together?"

Papa Smurf thought for a while; how to make Grouchy participate again. Then he said,

"I have an idea."

Papa Smurf went to his lab, and searched something. Then, he put out some nutmeg, a holly, and put it in the gurgluring pot. Brainy was beside him.

"What exactly is this potion, Papa?" asked Brainy.

"The Christmas Spirit," answered Papa. "Designed to show on a true meaning of the holliday."

"And now, the final ingredient," said Papa, holding a small bottle with a cork on the top, "Essence of Smurf."

When he put the Essense of Smurf on the pot, the pot bolied, and soon went out the blue mist, with red and green sparks. It flashed right out of the lab's roof.

The mist swirled about through the merry Smurf's houses, throught the Smurf who's carrying presents, and flashed to the empty, cold Grouchy's house on the top.

Meanwhile, Grouchy was making sound of a flying airplane - shooot! With holding a mini hang-glider on his hand, and swirling through the air. Then he said angrily,

"Fa la la la la, la la la! LAME! How do you Smurf the hall, anyway?"

Then he hold up his mug. He looked inside the mug. Then he frowned.

"Uugh! I hate warm Smurfberry nog," he said. Then he thought of something.

"But I also hate being thirsty."

As he said this, the mist went right into his front door, and went through it, quietly. Grouchy didn't noticed this. He just drank the nog carefully. Then, he turned his head to the hang-glider in his right, touching it. The mist carefully tried to went into the mug, but Grouchy turned his head back. The mist suddenly disappeared behind his chair. He didn't noticed this, too.

When he turned to find behind the chair, the mist went the opposite, the touched Grouchy's arm. He turned his head to that side, then the mist suddenly flashed right into Grouchy's mug.

And Grouchy, never noticing this, drank the mist. Then, suddenly, his eyes began to be heavy.

"I suddenly.... feel.... sleepy...." murmered Grouchy, then, losing energy in his body, he plunged into the floor.