10. nerves

"Hello, I am a patient of Dr. Keating, I was hoping to schedule a session with Eliza?"

__

Today was Spencer's first appointment with Eliza. He had been reading up on her qualifications and such, as well as some of her famous research that she published in medical journals.

You were standing across from Spencer, watching his eyes dart across his laptop screen.

What was he looking at?

"You've been stuck to that computer for a few hours now. Don't you think you should give your eyes a break?" Your vision was blocked as you tilted your coffee cup against your lips, taking your first sip.

As you went to place the mug down, he had disappeared from the chair he was in.

You briefly wonder how you ever got to work at the BAU with such limited spacial awareness.

"Hello?" You turned to see him changing his shirt in your bedroom.

He does not answer you, and continues to rifle through his clothes to find a different shirt.

You furrow your brows, and turn back towards his laptop, reaching across the island to spin it around.

It was an article referencing one of many research papers that Eliza had published.

You didn't realize how much Spencer had been thinking about her.

Was he that nervous to meet her today?

You could hear him grumbling to himself as he continued to search for the right shirt.

Apparently... He was very nervous.

__

SPENCER'S POV

Spencer had been dreading this day since he made the appointment. That may sound dramatic, but he wasn't sure what this specialist had planned for their time together.

Digging around in his brain? Stealing FBI classified knowledge? What if it was a scam?

"It is not a scam." He grumbled to himself, selecting a dark navy t-shirt and swiftly pulling it over his head.

The plan was to drive to her office 15 minutes early. There would most likely be traffic since the building is in the middle of the city. He couldn't even begin to think about the parking.

"Have you find something you're comfortable in, or would you like to borrow something of mine?"

Spencer swiveled his head towards the doorway, scowling at your cheeky comment. "I will pick up my mess later, and depending on how this goes... I may get some groceries. Can you send me a list?"

He smiles as you nod, taking a subtle mental photo of the way you looked in your loose t-shirt. You didn't have any makeup on, just a bit of bedhead and some pillow crease marks on your face.

He thought it was very cute.

Spencer left rather quickly, because as he stated in his mind over the previous hours, he did not want to be late. As he began his fairly short drive, his phone connected to his car's bluetooth. With Spotify automatically opening, he just selected a random playlist without thinking about it.

Some soft alternative music began to play, which must've been your doing.

Spencer began to space out a little, thinking about what he had told you the other day.

You're such an amazing friend, y/n.

"What the fuck were you thinking... Dumbass." Spencer scolded himself, threading the wheel through his hands as he turned right down a main street.

He wasn't sure what to call you. He didn't mean to call you a friend... It kind of just slipped into his words. That usually doesn't happen to Spencer. He grew up as an intelligent and well-spoken individual.

You made his brain do somersaults of sorts, and after the night he spent with you... It was difficult to think straight.

Spencer's thoughts were interrupted by his GPS, directing him to turn left into a large building's parking garage.

He reduced his speed to pick a ticket out of the parking machine, and watched the gate wands lift up to either side of the entrance. After searching up a few levels of the garage, he found a few empty spots that fit his car comfortably.

He pushed the automatic engine power button to the right of his steering wheel, and the car stopped humming beneath him.

Spencer took a moment to himself before exiting his vehicle.

"This better fucking work." he murmured to himself.

Spencer could feel his heartbeat in his ears as he left the garage, entered the building, and stepped into the elevator.

The plaque outside of the elevator said she would be on floor 15.

He begins to relax as he believes this elevator ride with be unaccompanied. As he reaches to press the 15th floor's button, he catches a glimpse of a woman desperately waving down the elevator.

He assumes that she's on a time crunch, so he presses the button below the floor options to keep the elevator doors open,

As the woman crosses the expansive lobby of this building, her features slowly come into focus. Spencer can't help but analyze her, like he does with any other stranger. The click of her heels fades into the background as he disassociates.

A female in her late 30's. She appears to be around 5'6", medium olive toned skin. Dark freckles shape her nose and cradle the sides of her face, lightening as they reach her eyes. A dark piercing blue, hidden behind dark eyelashes.

Her lips are underneath a veil of deep mauve lipstick, which creases as her lips curl into a crooked smile. "Thank you so much for holding the door!"

Her dark black hair shines underneath the fluorescent light of the elevator, despite it being pinned back into a professional bun. She reaches across the empty space between herself and Spencer to press the button for the 15th floor, which catches his attention.

"Which floor for you?" Her voice is polite, but a little shy.

Spencer turns and looks down towards her. "I'm actually also going to the 15th floor... You wouldn't happen to know Dr. Warnberg?"

The woman tilts her head slightly, holding a slightly embarrassed look on her face. "Yes, I do.. Pretty well. You can call me Eliza if you'd like to."

Spencer's brow furrowed, confused of why she wasn't in her office. "This isn't our appointment.. Is it?"

Eliza put a hand to her chest, letting out a soft chuckle. "No, no.. I am so sorry to be meeting a new patient like this... I had to move my car into the garage so I wouldn't get towed off the street."

She seemed embarrassed to be caught doing something that was so normal.

"There's no need to apologize-" Spencer began to speak, but the elevator ding interrupted him.

"Ah, well it looks like we're here. I am going to go sit in my office, and we can pretend we never saw each other." Eliza gave Spencer another small smile, walking ahead of him and past the receptionist.

Spencer took his seat in the waiting room, and checked his phone.

9:50 am.

10 minutes early.