4. the little things

"roommates." 

__

5 MONTHS LATER       

The snow had melted. 

The grass had cute little flowers poking out from it. 

Everything was blooming, flourishing... Especially your allergies. 

Up until now, you had been sniffling in the middle of every sentence. 

Every.... Every day was...

You sneezed quietly, making heads float up over their desk dividers. Spencer snickered softly, earning a glare from you. Your glare made him lift his eyebrows and hands in surrender. 

You sniffed and ran your fingertips across your lips, composing yourself. "I know where you sleep, doctor." 

Your threat wasn't too intimidating, especially given your red nosed appearance, but he laid off, letting you be. 

Derek strolled by the two of you, stopping to walk backwards and listen to your horrid sniffles. "Y/n. Not to be a douche or anything... But why the hell are you at work right now?" 

You scowled and crossed your arms over your chest. "I have work to do. So I'm at work."

"You should go home.. Get some rest." Derek chided, motioning his words with his coffee cup. 

"I don't think anyone else agrees with you mister-"

"We agree." Spencer chirped, along with several others nodding their head in silent agreement.

A stuffy scoff left your mouth as you acknowledged the truth. "Fine... I'll go home. You have to drive boy genius home, though. Can you do that?"

Derek rolled his eyes and emitted a dramatic 'fine' before returning to his desk.

You neatened your desk a little before picking up your bag and standing from your chair. "I'll see you at the apartment later?"

Spencer looked up from his papers, but you knew he had been watching you since you began packing up. "Yes. I'll probably get some food on the way... If Derek permits it."

You laughed quietly at his response, waving goodbye to Derek as you left the bullpen.

Every... Every day was hard.

It was easier than it used to be, but the pain never faded.

You had been rebuilding a friendship that you didn't want. Sure you wanted him to be in your life, but being friends with him was insufferable.

You can't just kiss friends. You wouldn't force him into something he doesn't remember.

You refocused on your steering wheel, taking a deep breath. "Don't spiral... Don't spiral. You're okay. Just go home." You nodded to yourself and turned the keys in the ignition, making the engine rev lowly. You pulled out of the parking lot and made your way back to the apartment, sniffling the entire drive.

The moment you got home, you laid down on the floor. The cool hardwood floors soothed your overheated body, and were surprisingly comfortable. After laying on the floor and contemplating death for several minutes, you convinced yourself to take a shower.

"This won't fix you.. But it will feel nice." You spoke to yourself in the mirror. Your reflection had neat long hair, and was skinnier then she used to be. You ran your fingers through the silky hair draped across your shoulders and sighed, glancing down at your hands. They were slightly clammy, and a little jittery.

What the fuck happened to you?

You reached into the shower and twisted the metal knob until it settled at a warm temperature. You undid your fitted work slacks and shirt as you watched the mirror steam up, engulfing your fragile reflection. You let your clothes fall to the floor whilst you rid yourself of your undergarments as well, the plain pieces settling on top of your shirt and pants. You stepped into the shower with a sigh, and let the hot water run down your face.

You let yourself stand in the shower for a few minutes before washing your hair and gently running your hands across your body with body wash. After that tiring task, you wanted to curl up in bed and sleep for a century. 

After wrapping yourself up in a robe and wringing out your hair, you did just that.

Except the sleeping for a century part. 

You still had unfinished plans:

- marrying the love of your life

- driving a ridiculously expensive car

- jumping off of a cliff into the ocean

A short and sweet bucket list of yours. Was the first option even possible? You didn't want to get your hopes up. 

You rolled over onto your right side, noticing that the sun was slowly setting. The warm orange light cascaded across the covers, leisurely making its way to the floor, the edge of the windowsill, and then it was gone.  

The rays that had settled into the comforter put you to sleep, and you were in a deep sleep for at least 6 hours. 

A door clicking open woke you from your groggy state.

"Y/n?" 

The voice came from your bedroom doorway.

You raised your head from your resting position, your eyes widening a little as the shadow moved closer. 

"Don't worry, it's just me." Spencer put his hands up in surrender, hoping he didn't frighten you. 

A small sigh left you, and your body relaxed back into the pillows. Your brows furrowed slightly as Spencer continued forward, standing at the end of the bed. 

You pursed your lips. "Do.. Do you need something?"

He crossed his arms, his forearms flexing. "I need you." You felt a cool shiver down your spine as he spoke. 

Spencer dropped his messenger bag on the floor beside the bed, and began to unbutton his light dress shirt. 

What the fuck. What is going on? 

Should you stop this?

You watched his defined hands drop to his belt, unbuckling it with vigor. The veins and muscles moving in his hands as his fingers worked made your heart skip a beat. 

You can't stop this.

You swallowed shallowly and brought your fingers to the edge of the large shirt you had been sleeping in, but one of his hands darted out to your wrist to stop you. 

"Let me." He whispered, leaning into your neck as his body hovered over you. This was such a familiar feeling to you, but it had been far too long since the last time you felt it. 

His warm hands met your bare waist underneath your shirt, and you pushed your body into his touch. You had become so needy, and he didn't seem to complain. 

Spencer's lips met yours in a passionate and rough kiss, sparking a fire in your lower abdomen. A breathy sigh left your lips as his hands ran up beneath the shirt, caressing your bare chest with his calloused fingertips. 

"Spencer.." You murmured, leaning back as he lifted the shirt from your body, flinging it across the room. 

"God, you're so beautiful. I missed you." He spoke huskily, pressing his lips into your neck hungrily. 

"I missed you.. Too.." Your eyes softened. His words struck chords deep inside you. 

I missed you. 

Did he remember you... Or did he never forget?