Chapter 26

ADRIAN RUTHERFORD

It was around late evening when I could finally make it back to the hotel. I felt guilty about leaving Em all by herself. Everyone needs a local tourist when they visit someplace. I smiled to myself when I remembered how she told me I needed to spend my time with my family. With those eyes sparkling at me, how could I have said no to her?

I sighed as the day weighed down on me. I got into the elevator and pressed my card to take me to the person so dear, so important to me. I closed my eyes for a second when a random flashback crossed my mind.

It was back in high school when I was talking to my friends at that time about wanting to cook, wanting to clean and wanting to help my future partner at the drop of a hat. I still remembered how all of them had laughed at me and said it didn't suit a guy to want to do such things. I was naïve enough to believe them, trying to cover up what I wanted to do, being a douche to people. Although it had only been one encounter, that had served as a wake-up call for me, it was still something that flashed in my passing memories; like right now.

I could not wait for the elevator to take me to Em faster. All this while, my adoration for her had only grown. And seeing how she had been allowing me into her space, giving me access to her thoughts and of course, advancing physically towards me; I wanted to pop the question about being my girlfriend to her soon.

Initially, I had thought about an engagement but it was brought to my notice by my family today that it might still be too soon. I considered the pros and cons and decided how they might have been right. Sooner or later though, I would love it if she decided to accept my proposal. I wanted to call her mine and wanted to be called hers in public.

A cheeky smile grew on my face as the elevator doors opened. I headed towards the shared room and rang the bell. After a minute or two though, there was no response. I figured she might be having a late dinner by the lakeside. Hence, I entered using the key card.

What I saw there, however, was nothing that I had expected. She was sitting on the floor, back to the bed with a whole bottle of some kind of alcohol in her hand.

As I closed the door behind me and got closer, I noticed another one that might have rolled its way under the table.

It was like watching a scene unfold in front of me. There was a thickness in the air, something heavily settling around the room as I took in the tear stains on Em's cheeks, the few bruises on her body as if she was hit a few times here and there.

We both were in a daze, me not being able to take a step further and her not even realizing the presence of another person in the room.

Before I could be snapped out of it though, she got up; taking unfocused and wobbly steps toward the balcony attached to the room. She tripped on her own shoes that were lying in her way.

She opened the French window and was soon by the railing, holding it with both hands. Finally, it clicked on me and I made a dash for her.

I witnessed with my heart almost stopping, her grabbing the railing with both hands, trying to find a stable footing to.....to......JUMP.

Chills ran down my spine as I reached her and yanked both of her hands that had swiftly landed on my chest.

"Are you crazy?! What the fuck do you think you were trying to pull huh?!" I burst before I knew it.

She gave me a smile. A toothy one but, one that completely lost any happiness in it.

And then suddenly she was trying to pull away from my embrace and holding the railing.

I pulled her more harshly and dragged her into the room, earning a series of hisses and lots of squirming from her.

"What the fuck Adrian! Leave me be! Don't you dare get all in my business like it actually matters to you? Each and every person has their own guilty greed for treating someone nicely. It makes my skin crawl! Makes me want to throw up." She screamed to my face. However suddenly, she held the collar of my shirt and whispered, her breath stinking of alcohol, "It is disgusting. So while I can still have a delusion of you actually liking and caring about me, please get the fuck out of my life."

Her words stung like no tomorrow. My tears were threatening to fall and my emotions were threatening to take over. Still, I couldn't afford that when one of us was already having a full-blown drunk mental breakdown right now.

I just pulled her to the bed, using her grip on my collar to my advantage. I was efficiently able to put her in my lap and soon, started patting her back slowly, while one of my hands scratched her scalp slowly.

Honestly, I expected some resistance but, there was none. It seemed to me like she fell asleep when she did not react at all. However, after a few minutes, her body started shaking as sobs wracked out of her.

I kept working my hands through her hair while whispering things into her ears.

"I am here." "It's okay." "Let everything out." "Take deep breaths." "I will always like you." "I care about you."

After a while, she seemed to have calmed down a little.

"They used me, Adrian. They abandoned me on purpose. Never loved me." She sobbed.

I wanted to pull her back and make her look at me but, I knew she would do so on her own when she felt right.

"Who?" I asked. I had suspicions but I wanted to confirm them.

"My- my parents." Even though I half expected it, my eyes opened wide.

"You met them?" I pried. I didn't want to push but it would help me take better care of her for as much as she would let me in.

She nodded, wiping some drool and tears on my shoulder.

"They abandoned me on purpose. They don't love me. They didn't miss me. I wanted to hug mom and cry on dad's shoulder. I wanted them to be proud of who I had become Adrian. I wanted them to meet you. But, it was all a lie. It all crumbled in front of my eyes."

She finally let out. Half of it though was barely comprehensible between her sobs and slurred babble.

"But I am right here Em. I am not going anywhere. Until you want to push me away, I am going to hold tight onto you. So please love me. And please remember that I am never letting you go." I whispered.

I don't know what I expected but she fell asleep sometime when I was talking. I gently pulled her back, putting her limp body next to me, admiring her freckle-dusted cheeks and wiping away the tear stains and spit.

I sighed as I stood up to clean up before heading back to bed, imagining what it would be like talking to a sober and most probably hungover Emma tomorrow. I just hoped and wished she wouldn't push me away.