Chapter 14

ADRIAN RUTHERFORD

At night, I came back to an empty home. She still had not come back. In the morning, when I stormed out, I was angry. I wouldn't deny it.

What people thought or said about me, usually didn't affect me; but she was not some unknown judgemental lady whom I didn't care about at all.

First, last night when she said she believed what others said about me in university, I flinched internally. She trusted them more than the time we spent together. And then this morning, she was in denial again.

The first thought in my head was that she actually didn't like me at all and that I was just being a stubborn brat for getting too attached to her. Hence, I left her in the apartment alone.

Then, after I reached my office, it occurred to me that her family history wasn't very plausible or secure with love and affection. So I might have been a little overwhelming for her. So, I called Mrs. Greta and asked her to take special care of Emma and her fever. I knew she would be gone in the afternoon to meet with that new employee on the sixtieth. I thought she could use some female company. She needed to open up to someone, not necessarily me.

I sighed as I sat down on the counter stool in the kitchen. I could use a little alcohol right now. Although I was never a big fan of drinking, I occasionally took a swig or two. The last time I drank some hard alcohol was a shot of vodka when at dinner with Em. Before that, three months ago.

I got up from the stool and poured myself a glass of red wine. I went to the balcony in her room and made myself comfortable on the couch.

I took a sip as I relaxed my head back and enjoyed the cloud-covered sky. Not as fine as the clear night sky on the dinner night, but artistic enough. I slowly closed my eyes, easing the frown between my brows. As I did, the only image in front of my eyes was the beautiful smile on Em's face when we played on the beach. She looked so open and happy; content even. She looked more youthful.

Thinking about it left a stupid smile on my own face. That was when it hit me. All she needed was a little opening up. Living her childhood. A much-deserved part of happiness that was missing in her life. I quickly took out my phone and dialled someone. I so knew this would make her happy.

*****

EMERSON FINDLAY

By the time I came back, I was exhausted. Jackie, what she insisted me to call her talked a lot with Harriott and tried to drag me in the conversation all through the lunch.

Then, Harriott took his leave and the two of us decided to go to a market for shopping. I had never been to one with all those handmade items and handicrafts. To say that I enjoyed it a lot, would be an understatement.

I had forgotten all about my fever. Now, I slowly went into the kitchen to drink some water.

As I went in, I saw a sticky note on the fridge. It was unmistakably Adrian's.

It said that he wasn't sure about my dinner plans, so he saved some of the dinners for me. That brought a smile to my face. Although I was quite full, I took a spoonful of the ice cream in a bowl in the freezer and ate it then and there.

After that, I went to the bedroom where I currently resided to find the balcony door open.

I frowned. I was pretty sure I closed it. I took my sandals off and went to close the door. That was when I saw Adrian. He was splayed over the bigger couch, with his tie and coat gone but, his shirt was still there. There was also a glass on the table in front of him.

I got nearer and picked up the glass then, came back with a blanket and covered him. Removed my flats and sat on the single-seat couch and looked at his peaceful face. I should apologize to him. I was very rude to him when he was nothing but kind to me.

I sighed and went on to sit next to the long couch. I combed my fingers through his soft hair and loved the feeling.

Slowly, he stirred and opened his sleepy eyes and gave me a half smile.

"You are home. How are you feeling? Did you have fun?"

His smile and his sleepy, husky voice did something to me. My heart fluttered for a moment but, I could swear that it was only my imagination.

I nodded slowly and then, spoke. "I am better now. Uh... I... I wanted to ask, who are you going to go with tomorrow?"

He frowned in confusion."What is there tomorrow?"

"Don't you remember? The annual ball you hold is there tomorrow."I said.

Realization flashed across his face. He rubbed the back of his neck a little.

"Oh yeah. It slipped out of my mind. We do have to go with partners this year."

"Yes. So, what have you thought." "Nothing yet but, it's pretty late, so why don't you sleep."

He was right. It was getting late. So, I got up to go into the room but, he pulled me to him. We were both lying face to face, more like face to chest and he was holding me tightly.

"What did I tell you about us sleeping together? Now sleep." He whispered.

I wiggled a little to be eye to eye with him and started playing with his hair again. His midnight blue eyes bore into mine and his mouth slowly descended to my jaw, then neck and then back up to my cheek, leaving light kisses everywhere.

This time, I was sure my heart was beating erratically and I actually, really liked it. Before I knew it, we both had fallen asleep.