Chapter 4

EMERSON FINDLAY

"No!", I shouted and my own scream woke me up, "Please don't go!" I cried. I wiped the droplets of sweat from my forehead and the tears that had fallen on my cheeks. I put my glasses on and at that very moment, my alarm started ringing. I had gotten the same nightmare again.

I got into the bathroom and got ready for the day. As I got out of my room, I sighed. So far, since the day I left university, everything in my life had been pretty okay. I had been living my life, carrying myself around, trying not to be a bother to anyone. It was going pretty perfectly, honestly - just me slowly working towards my goal of having freedom from the phantoms of my past that were hellbent on dragging me down. But now, since Adrian was back in my life, it seemed to me that my life was going to take a huge turn again and it had already started yesterday. My first day of work was so eventful that I could make a 'diary entry' about it.

I climbed down the stairs and saw the Jonz hustling-bustling about the house, trying to put on clothes and hurrying to pack their bags. They seemed to be in a hurry. However, as it was none of my concerns, I made my way to the kitchen to grab some fruits for breakfast. After a while, all the noise suddenly came to a stop. Simultaneously, I saw the family load everything into their car.

Mr. Jonz, being the last one to leave, turned around and spoke to me for the first time this morning.

He looked up from his newspaper and gave me a rehearsed professional smile. "Mornin' Emma." He wished as he stepped closer to pat me on my shoulder. He seemed to be getting that I was confused. He continued, "Oh. If you're wondering what is going on here, Jessica and I have to go to Washington DC, to her home because of some family feud. We'll be back in a few weeks. And Claire too wouldn't be here until we come back. So, take good care of the house."

I nodded my head and soon after they left, I took my own leave to catch the metro at the correct time today. Even though this family treated me like a ghost member of the house, like I did not even exist, I had no clue why I was feeling so empty at the thought of being alone in the house. I didn't know how to feel about this situation. Whenever I was left back at the house alone, I would usually try to make myself useful and learnt new things from the internet but, ended up sitting in the same corner where I had cried thirteen years ago and remembered the dreadful day. That reminded me to really start looking for a new house as soon as possible.

I didn't know why, but I didn't want to feel the same way again. My nightmares were enough to make me dread being left alone with my thoughts. I exhaled deeply as I finally arrived at my work. I went into the building. I quickly went into the elevator and to my floor. I put my purse and mobile on my desk and sat down. Yesterday, I had finished the designs of many floors but, the details were still left to be filled in. When they said that theory and application were two very different things, they meant it. Even just polishing already perfected designs to bring out the best in them was exhausting.

I decided to go to the H.O.D. and bring back my files to start the day with a fresh pair of eyes and some honest feedback. I made my way around the row of cubicles and was about to turn when Ed called out my name. I looked the other way to face him. "Good morning. How are doing!", he greeted.

"Oh. I'm fine. Thanks.", I smiled. Assuming that the formalities were over, I turned around to continue my work but, he stopped me again. "Um... Mr. Rutherford has asked you to report to his office as soon as you come." Shit. I mentally facepalmed myself for being in an ineluctable situation like this. I plastered a fake smile on my face and nodded before going in the opposite direction from where I initially had to go. Directly to the office of all my problems.

As I reached in front of his office door, I took a deep breath. Then, I knocked on the door before entering and when I did, he was already looking towards me. I quickly turned around to close the door but, still left it slightly ajar as I didn't want to be in a closed room with him. it was just in case I decided to sprint and bolt right out of this room of horrors. It was too much tension to handle. When I turned around, he was already standing close to me, close in a sense of familiarity. Like his body knew how to be around mine; too close for my liking.

I pushed back my glasses and enquired, "Hi, did you call me?" I saw him smirk a little and then averted my gaze to anywhere but him.

"Yes, Ms. Findlay. I did call you. I wanted to ask; are you the one who is making these new designs? Giving them finishing touches?", he asked pointing to the paperwork on his table. I didn't know why, but my throat had gone dry. So, I just nodded.

He got closer to me and instinctively, I took steps away from him. Soon, he had closed the slightly ajar door and I was trapped between him and the door. We were so close that I could feel his breath near my neck.

Slowly, he whispered into my ear, "What did you think, I would have forgotten you, Emerson? Do you think this is all a game?" I gulped. That was enough to confirm that he had definitely recognized me.

I fake frowned and stuttered while trying to find the doorknob, "I...uh...I...I don't understand what you are talking about.....I...I...I think I should go." I finally found the doorknob, opened the door and practically ran out but, not before hearing him say, "If this is a game, so be it. Let the games begin."

At that moment. I realized I was so fucked,

After that, I went straight to Mrs. Samantha. I knocked on the door to her office and went inside. "Good morning ma'am.", I greeted. She nodded her head and I went to her desk. "Ma'am actually I couldn't get the copies of the draft I submitted to you yesterday. Do you still have it so I may get it xeroxed and take one of them for details?", I asked even though I knew she didn't have the draft.

She took out a file from her desk drawer and handed it to me. "Here. Take it. I took printed a copy of the draft yesterday. The original one is with Mr. Rutherford. You may continue your work in this." I smiled a little, feeling relieved, took the copy from her and went on to complete my designs.

Before I knew it, it was already lunchtime. I took a deep breath as I craned my neck away from the files. I didn't know why, but I always had this neck pain after being in the same position for too long. I moved my head sideways to release some stress when I felt like someone was constantly watching my every single move. I looked up to see Adrian who was eyeing me from the end close to the elevators.

As soon as he realized I had caught him staring at me, he cleaned his throat, going for a more direct attack by approaching my desk. "Ms. Findlay I want all the detailed designs of the Milan project completed and kept on my desk by the end of this month. We would have a meeting with the clients that evening at a restaurant and I want you to accompany me to present your own designs.", He ordered rather than requested.

"Sorry but, I am not even the one in charge of this and I just started working on it yesterday and --", I tried to argue but he cut me off. "I won't like to hear any excuses. When I say I need them by the assigned deadline, then I need them by the assigned deadline. Are we clear?"

His eyes were piercing into mine, leaving no space for any arguments. So, I just nodded. My throat had gone dry due to the authority reflected by him. He raised a brow, smirked and left. Wow! I'm so excited about the dinner. Not. I thought. All for the second day and workplace pressure.

I now had no time to waste. I hadn't even completed a third of it yet. I went to the cooler on our floor, drank some cold water, sat back and started off with the designs. Even though half of the day was over, I was sure that I had a long day for me ahead.