Chapter 5

EMERSON FINDLAY

"Damn!" I winced as I squinted my eyes shut and stood up from my chair. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall. 1:20 am, it read. My back and neck were aching as if they were hit by hammers multiple times.

I had finally completed all my work by staying at the office. I had first decided to head home and continue it in the morning but, then, I realized that I would not have gotten any sleep if I did go. So, I continued my task until it was completed.

I hoped that I was going to get paid for all the extra work and time I devoted to this silly project in the past few weeks. It had however served as an excellent distraction from all the bullshit going around in the Jonz household, also giving me enough space to look up for a few apartments. I had narrowed it down to five apartments that I planned to visit within this week to move in with my first salary. I gathered all the papers, their final and initial designs and filed them. I decided to head home after putting my file on Adrian's table. One less face to see the first thing the next morning.

When I was near his office, I saw a faint light coming out of there. Who would be there and what would they be doing at this ungodly hour? I thought. I took some more noiseless, measured steps to peek into the office.

The door wasn't completely closed but, also not wide open. So, it was only enough for me to listen. "No, Mr. Govender. You are going to lose this deal if you keep up the quotations. We have to reduce the cost. It's for public service after all." I heard Adrian furiously talk to someone on his phone. He didn't sound very chirpy.

I finally regained my formal composure and opened the door. He was looking at the city skyline from the glass walls at one end of his office. Oof! He looked so good even from where I was standing. His broad shoulders were heaving up and down as his heavy breathing was the only sound that filled the office, followed by the slow hum of the door as I opened it.

He had always kept it a habit to breathe heavily when in a lot of stress. I had observed it over the year when we were friends. As they say, old habits die hard. After a few minutes of him staring out and me staring at his back, he finally remarked. "It's a little too late into the night isn't it?"

He turned around. My eyes widened a little as I completely entered the office. "Hi, I came here to put my files on your table. I have actually finished all the designs." I mumbled.

I didn't know why but, my throat always went dry when I was around him. I made a mental note to ponder upon it. He nodded. "Put it on the mini table near the couch and then you may leave. And tomorrow, take a half day off. You should not stress yourself out too much." I whispered a small okay as I put my file on the mini table.

He was now sitting down at his desk. It was full of numerous stapled sheets and his laptop. His eyes were trained on his work as he looked determined to finish whatever he was doing.

"May I chime in on something?" I asked. He hummed in response. "You too should not stress yourself out too much. It may affect your health." "I wouldn't be running a multinational company if I took the liberty to sleep early and get up late. My work needs more of my time than my sleep does."

He made sense. After all, he was always the hardworking type. But, I too had no intention of going to that place called my home. I would rather help him with his work than go home than try to sleep and end up with nightmares. So, I asked, "Then, may I help you in any way?"

For the first time since I entered, he looked into my eyes directly. His brows were furrowed together. "Don't you have to go home and sleep?" He asked. "Um....I" I was at a loss for words. I had no reason to stay. "Please let me help you. You may be able to finish your work earlier." I tried my best to sound helpful rather than desperate.