2

THE GRIM REAPER BLINKED, perplexed, before simply continuing to stare at her in shock. She didn't know why until she remembered she had been shot, but when she looked down at the wound there was none, only a ripped piece of clothing underneath her collarbone. Confused she brushed the skin with her hand, not sure anymore if she had actually been hit. When she looked up at the man who had shot her the panicked, constant screaming didn't really help her with understanding what was going on either.

The woman beside him had gone pale, but Mateo was nowhere to be seen. Delilah wasn't that surprised, though she was glad to have finally met her idol, she knew to Mateo he would only mean that he couldn't see his family anymore. She understood completely, but it was hard to see the Reaper as a villain when he looked so kind. Or well, not in his face, because he was just frowning at this point, but she could feel it in his aura.

She moved to stand up and the woman fainted, the man turning around and sprinting away beside her. Without hesitation Delilah jumped up, ready to follow in pursuit, but the Reaper grabbed her wrist, stopping her before she could do so. Surprised she looked at him as he got to his feet as well, the shadows seeming to be drawn to him as he looked her in the eye. Before she really hadn't had much time to think about it, considering she thought she had been shot and then had been caught off-guard by his presence alone, but now she couldn't help but notice how handsome he was.

His messy hair seemed to be made of shadow alone, the universe residing in his gaze. There was something haunting about him, something in the dark circles under his eyes and wisps of mist and whispers around him, which he dismissed with a hand. He seemed like the type of person you only saw in dreams, one who would guide you through forests too green and seas too deep, before you would wake up in the middle of the night with a recollection of nothing at all. When he pulled down the hood of his cloak, she noticed the silver scar running through the middle of his throat, but she didn't let herself linger on it too long.

His voice was so low it felt like a murmur almost, calming like the waves of the sea. It took her a moment to realize he had asked her something and she blinked at him, the question finally processing.

"What were you going to do, run after him?" he said.

"I had no plan," she answered," but seeing as he somehow has become terrified of me, I'm sure it'll work out."

"Understandable," the Reaper said, gaze flicking to her ripped piece of clothing as he bent down to look at it closer. She was about to ask him why he was staring at her collarbone when he straightened his back again, locking eyes with her. "Why are you still alive?"

"I like to think it's because fate has a lot more in store for me," she smiled," but if you're asking for my reason to live, I have to say -"

"I'm sorry I have to interrupt," he said, his serious expression not changing," but what I meant was, how did you survive that bullet going straight through your aorta?"

"I didn't get hit," Delilah blinked, gesturing at the unwounded skin," I mean, there's no blood, see."

"No, you definitely did," he said with a slow shake of his head," a soul only calls to me when it leaves the body, you should have died just now. I saw it pierce your body when I came, but when you opened your eyes, it was gone."

It took her a moment to realize what he was saying, her lips parting. "O my, am I immortal? My fortune teller did say I had something special, but I just thought she was talking about the fact that I could see ghosts."

"You can see ghosts?" the Reaper frowned, looking positively more concerned with the second.

"It's not that big of a deal," she said, waving it off with a hand," there are many other mediums on this planet after all. You, however -" She bent down to pick up her bag, which had fallen on the floor due to the impact, fishing out the first object she could find and a pen. When she held it out to him, he just watched her in confused silence until she spoke again. "I'm not sure if this is the right moment, considering how we both just found out I can't die, but can I still get that autograph?"