4

MATEO WAS GONE BEFORE she could even say something, having disappeared into the shadows as fast as Logan had. Jonathan was still waiting for her to answer, but she was too busy focusing on the Reaper. He let his scythe rest against his shoulder, absentmindedly nodding at the wisps of silver which danced around him, before waving them away with a hand. Somehow he looked even more tired than before, like he hadn't slept in ages, but it still suited him in a way.

"Is it your break already?" she asked.

"I was exaggerating when I said that," he replied," I never take breaks." He frowned, looking around. "Talking about work, I'm sure I heard another soul here just now. It's a bit hard to sense them somehow here, finding this one took some time as well. It's like you're jamming my usual signals."

"I think you're just imagining it," Delilah said," but speaking of the ghost you just caught, can you give him back for a second? He wanted to say his final words to his friend."

"I didn't catch anyone," the Reaper frowned," I am not some hunter, I gently guided him into my scythe to transport him to his preferred afterworld."

"Can you gently transport him back?" Delilah said, eyes big as she interlaced her fingers in a pleading move," pretty please?"

"No," he said. Without any further explanation he turned away from her, peering at the ceiling. "I'm sensing a soul again, so I'm off."

"Who do you keep talking to the whole time?" Jonathan said, gaze flicking from her to the spot she was staring at," what's going on? Tell me -"

Delilah was too busy focusing on the Reaper to really notice Jonathan and when he moved to go through the ceiling, she grabbed his wrist without thinking. There was no way she would let him catch Mateo, even if he seemed really kind. Right at that moment Jonathan let out a scream though, her gaze immediately snapping towards him as he stared at her with a look so horrified it almost seemed like he had seen the sky melt down.

"Where the hell did that man come from?" Jonathan said, trembling as he pointed at the Reaper," he wasn't there just now, I'm sure of it. And is he holding a fucking scythe?" His eyes widened as he slowly took a step forward, extending his hand to the Reaper in an attempt to touch him. "Wait, are you Logan?"

Shock was clear on the Reaper's face as he looked at her and then at her hand holding his, like he had never seen her before.

"I knew you seemed powerful," he said," but how did you undo my invisibility cloak? What are you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Delilah beamed at him," but you're too kind! I wouldn't call myself that powerful to be honest, I think Mother Nature is the source of all our strength -"

Jonathan interrupted her by stepping closer, not seeming to have caught their conversation at all with how lost in thought he was. His gaze was fixated on the Reaper, who looked back at him without any emotion.

"You changed so much," Jonathan mused, looking him up and down," is this what happens after you die? Do you become all goth?"

He tried to touch him again and the Reaper grabbed his hand this time, politely shaking it as he nodded at him.

"Human," he said," I have no idea who you are, so I can assure you I haven't changed at all. I am a big fan of consistency."

"Why are you calling me human?" Jonathan blinked.

"Speaking of," Delilah piped up," what is your name? Can you tell me?"

"I will not answer both of those questions," he replied matter-of-factly, turning towards Delilah after," I need you to come with me though. This matter has turned more serious than I thought."