6

SHE POURED THE TEA as he watched her, eyes calm in that same way they had been when she had first met him. He had this atmosphere around him like everything would be alright, a confidence which she knew had probably soothed many souls. If you spent your whole life guiding people, it was no wonder that all you wanted to do was keep moving. She wondered if he ever allowed himself to feel, with how steady he always had to be for the newly deceased. After years of having to keep her own cool to lessen their worries, she knew more than anyone else how much effort it took at times.

Perhaps that was the reason she couldn't remember when she had really let emotions consume her last.

"It's one of my favorites," she said as she sat down next to him, handing him the cup," I've always liked tea."

"I don't often drink it," he said, rising it to his lips as he glanced at her," thank you for making it."

"You seem like such a tea person though," she smiled," or black coffee, I haven't exactly put my finger on it yet."

"I like both," he shrugged," but there's no physiological need for me to drink it, so I often refrain. It's too much effort and I don't have the time to be frivolous anyway."

"So do you always do this?" Delilah asked, tilting her head to the right," guide others while not giving yourself any free time?"

He breathed out, not bothering to push his messy hair away from his face as he spoke.

"My work is the only reason I exist," he said," I was born the Grim Reaper and I will die one, if I ever will be graced by death. It would be irresponsible if I didn't act like it was my first priority, especially towards all those scared, wayward souls."

He stopped talking then, shaking his head as he looked at her, those eyes of his so mesmerizing she couldn't help but stare back.

"I don't know why I'm telling you this," he said," I think I'm still somewhat drowsy. It's been a long time since I've talked with someone."

"I can listen without any judgement," she said," so please do tell me, it's always best to get your worries off your heart." She sipped from her cup, continuing after she had swallowed. "What about the other gods, don't they listen?"

He jumped up at once then, eyes wide as he looked at her. She didn't have to wonder what she had said wrong for long, because a moment after he shook his head, a low chuckle leaving his lips.

"Have any of them sent you?" he said," it's no wonder I can't find out if you have a soul or not - are you a mirage? Is this some prank of Azriel's or someone else trying to dig up dirt on me again?"

"Why do you think this has to be fake?" she said, looking up at him.

He leaned forward, his cloak swishing as his dark locks brushed against her forehead, eyes so intense the room became warmer.

"This is my fault," he murmured, placing his cup of tea down," I let my guard down too much because you kept surprising me. Still, I should have known better, no human would ever act this friendly upon seeing me." He waved a hand at her flowers, the petals turning into black dust with the move. "Can't you see? Everything I touch dies and yet you're still telling me you admire me?"

He scoffed, lifting her chin with his thumb, the silver mist around him expanding throughout the whole room.

"Don't act like I'm the hero when we both know I'm the villain in this story."

After a moment of silence he let her go, turning around and grabbing his scythe. When he pulled the hood of his cloak on she called out to him, voice clear.

"What's wrong with being a villain?" she said," I admire you still."

He turned to look at her over his shoulder, expression unreadable in the mist.

"I have heard all flatteries possible," he said," when people try to escape death, it's the only thing they can reach for. Is that what you're trying?"

She walked towards him, compassion in her eyes at the distrust which had settled into him over all these centuries. It was lonely at the top she knew and she could see the way his head weighed under the crown, her hand reaching out for his. He watched her almost curiously as she placed it on her sternum, his fingers cold on her skin.

"I am not scared of death," she said honestly," if you doubt it, you can take me along. Take my soul, I wouldn't mind."

"I would," he said, tilting his head to the right," but you seem to have none." He let his fingers curl around her neck, though he put no pressure on it. "Even the gods have a soul, despite their immortality, and yet you and I are the only ones I've witnessed without one. Do you still find my suspicions strange? You don't even look surprised by the news."

"I honestly just go with the flow," she smiled," even if I apparently have no soul, it's not something I can change simply by worrying. Besides, you see this only in a negative light." She placed her hand on his, feeling her pulse through his fingers on her neck. "Perhaps this is a sign that it's meant to be, who knows - perhaps we are soulmates."

He let her go at once, stepping back in surprise. With his hand clenched around his scythe he looked at her, the mist fading away.

"I am destined to be alone," he said," you can not be my soulmate."

"Who told you that?" she said," because fuck them. And besides, even if I was wrong, what would it matter? We could still be friends, you know, talk about the struggles of being the only ones without a soul together." She placed an absentminded hand on her heart, glancing at him. "By the way, what are the struggles of having no soul? Does it have to do with me seeing ghosts, because if so, I don't really mind."

"My soulmate died a long time ago," he said, words containing the sharp edge of grief," I will not have any other woman, I promised that on her grave."

She parted her lips, startled, but couldn't find the right words to say. The suggestion she had made simply out of romanticism now seemed unsensitive, so she simply closed them again. Saying anything else would simply be cruel, especially when she knew nothing about the situation.

"You remind me of her, just a little bit," he whispered, shaking his head," perhaps that's why I've been too invested, setting my work aside simply to chase a problem with no solution. After all, I only govern the souls, you are something wildly different."

"In what ways do I remind you of her?" she said, unable to stop her curiosity.

He shook his head, glancing at his reflection in the scythe, eyes so far away it felt like he was seeing someone else.

"Only in the way you treat me," he said," she also never acted like I was a monster."

"That's because you're not," Delilah said.

He took another step back in the mist and she knew she had lost him, that he wasn't listening anymore.

"I will let you be," he said," it's clear meddling will only bring problems. If fate is on our side, we will never meet again."

"If fate is on mine, we will," she said simply.

But he was already gone.