Chapter 9

We were once again at the park. Ludwig said he wanted us to get some alone time together out of the house. After last night, that was the best course of action considering the tense air still seemed to linger. The chilly air was refreshing and strolling around hand-in-hand with Ludwig provided a nice distraction from everything going on.

     As we walked, we came across a group of kids playing a game of football, though they most likely called it soccer. For some reason, something in my mind clicked at the sight. I must have been staring since Ludwig asked if I wanted to stop for a minute to which I agreed. We found a spot, under a nearby tree and watched the game. I couldn't shake the familiarity that the game brought. Something was itching at the back of my mind, but I couldn't figure it out. Eventually, I decided to give up on the whole thing and leaned against Ludwig, letting my eyes close for a minute. I wasn't exactly tired, but I wanted to take in the cool air the sounds of laughter, chatter, and chirping.

     My mind began to wander and eventually came upon the image of a young boy with light blond hair and a bashful smile, holding a football in his hands. "Would you like to come play with my Bruder and me?" he asked in a timid voice. He pushed his bangs back out of his eyes to reveal beautiful, light blue eyes. Ludwig's eyes. It was a little Ludwig, flustered face and all. I snapped my eyes open as a memory came flooding back.

     "What's wrong?" Ludwig asked, concern lacing his voice.

     I was quiet for a moment, trying to get everything in order. "We...We met...in a park just outside of London." As I spoke, I saw Ludwig's eyes widen. "You were playing football with...what was his name? Gilbert! The ball got kicked over to where I was reading and...and...you were so shy...over just a ball." I let a small smile spread across my face. "Y-You invited me to play and I accepted. And we beat your brother." He just stared at me slacked jawed with wide eyes and pink cheeks. Felt my own cheeks go warm at the sight. No matter how many times I saw that blushing face, I was always enamored by it.

     Before I knew what was happening, Ludwig's arms wrapped around my waist and lifted me off the ground. After coming down from the shock of everything, I returned the hug with as much force as I could. When I was returned to the ground and we pulled away, our faces were only inches from each other and we only seemed to get closer. At first, I leaned in, thinking that I was ready. This was Ludwig, my boyfriend after all. Why couldn't I kiss him? But as he got closer, I found it harder to breathe and terror shot through my body. Right before our lips could connect I pushed away.

      For a moment, I couldn't bring myself to look at Ludwig and instead turned my head to the side. I swore I could feel how disappointed Ludwig with downcast eyes, thin lips twisted into a frown looking like a kicked puppy. The thought of that image made my stomach sink. I felt the hands on my waist move to rub my upper arms. "I'm sorry...I just got a little excited is all," he said softly.

     "I'm sorry..."

     "You have nothing to apologize for. I should have asked first." I felt his breath tickle my cheek, "may I kiss your cheek?" I thought about it, but figured that thinking so deeply would make things worse, so I gave a small nod of approval. And so, he brushed his lips, chilled by the cool air, against my burning skin. It was nice. Relaxing even. I leaned into the touch, though my body tensed up a bit as well.

     "Maybe we should head home," he suggested, pulling his face away from my own (though never releasing my forearms, not that I was complaining). I had to agree, today suddenly felt very long and very tiring. I just wanted to go home to warm up with a nice cup of tea and lounge about with Ludwig.