Chapter 1

I awoke to bright light and a splitting headache. As my eyes adjusted to the lighting, I discovered myself in a mainly white room. A hospital room if my memory served me well. Unfortunately, it didn't serve me well enough to give me the answer to what exactly happened. Frankly, I couldn't recall a lot other than my name, Arthur Kirkland.

     Despite the ache of my body, I lifted myself up slightly to look at my surroundings. White ceilings, white curtains, white floors. The smell of saturated alcohol was strong in the air. Yep, definitely a hospital. Despite the otherwise dull surroundings, one thing stood out. Beside me sat a young man, with very light blonde hair and pale skin. His bangs hung slightly over his closed eyes and his breath was shallow. I had to admit, he was quite beautiful. Perhaps he was a friend of mine or at least something along those lines, why else would he be here?

     I turned my gaze to a monitor beside me. It kept letting an annoying beep every few seconds. Then I brought my attention to my body. My left arm was wrapped in a cast and my torso ached. What had happened to me. Obviously, this was nothing small considering my lost memories, but it was still shocking to look over my injuries. No wonder my whole body hurt in some way.

     I looked back to the man beside me. Part of me wanting to say something and get some of my questions answered. But he looked so peaceful sleeping there and considering he was able to fall asleep in such an uncomfortable-looking position, he must have been tired. Ultimately, I decided against it and instead opted to lay back down and stare at the ceiling.

     I almost fell back asleep, when I heard a slight noise from beside me. I snapped my eyes open, allowing them to fall onto the man who was beside me. He was now awake and stared intently at me. His cold stare sent a chill down my spine and my breath hitch. He was scary at first, but soon, his blue eyes became soft as he met my gaze. Neither of us dared to make a sound.

     "You're awake," he finally said, taking in a sigh of relief. A small smile graced his lips, and honestly, it was kind of cute. I felt my face heat up, causing the man in front of me to frown. "Are you okay? Do you have a fever?"

     "N-No," I say, trying not to stutter.

     He lets out another sigh of relief. "Thank god. I'm going to get the nurse. Sit tight." And with that, he left the room.