Chapter 3

"Okay, so let's see if I got everything. The man who will be coming in soon is my best friend Francis that I've known since we were like five. Then there is my little brother Alfred who I live with here in America as I complete my history degree at Princeton University. I have three older brothers and one more younger brother, but they are in England and Canada and can't come down right now. And is that all I need to know?" I looked over at Ludwig, hoping I got everything correct. He didn't want to tell me much, but he agreed to let me know about my family and others who would be coming in to visit me.

     He gave me a nod, "Yes. You'll probably only see Alfred and Francis though during your stay here."

     "Okay..." I turned my attention to the blanket over me. I fiddle with the edge as I take in the information. I was grateful to fill in some gaps, but at the same time, I didn't gain any memories. Knowing all these people knew me and seemed to love me made me feel guilty for not knowing them or being able to fully return their love.

     The opening of a door pulled me out of my thoughts. In walked a man with shoulder-length blond hair, dressed in a pale pink button-up shirt and grey jeans. Interesting choice, but there was a familiarity in the style. Ludwig rose from his seat to greet the man, "Good day Francis."

     "Bonjour Ludwig, Arthur. And how is our little black sheep doing?"

     I felt my chest burn at the man's words and his growing smirk. I may have not known a lot about this Francis fellow, but he became a thorn in my side at that moment.

     "Now don't you start," Ludwig scolded.

     "Fine, fine. Any who, how are you Arthur?"

     I glared at the man, "everything hurts and you're making my headache worse."

     He gave me a teasing smile. "Glad to see you feisty as ever."

      "Memories or not his hatred for you still burns," Ludwig stated.

     "Arthur will be Arthur I suppose," the Frenchman laughed, but he was cut short by a sudden realization, "wait no memories?"

      "He has amnesia, Francis."

     That wiped that stupid grin off his face. Despite my annoyance, seeing his face fall as it did make me feel a little sorry for him. He remained silent, his deep blue eyes staring at me with uncertainty. "Oh Arthur," he eventually breathed. He slumped into the seat beside my bed. What a strange character. This was supposed to be my best friend?

     Ludwig looked to his phone, "Well, Feliciano is here. I'm going to head out."

     "Okay, tell little Feli I said hi."

     So with that, he left, leaving me with a now somber Francis. "So...What do you remember?" He asked, giving me a wiry smile.

     "My name, my age, the fact I'm from England and...that's it."

     "I see," he looked down at his hands. His pitiful state made my stomach twist. Sure he was annoying when he first entered here and sure I didn't really know much about him, but deep down, I knew this wasn't like him and that upset me a bit. Perhaps my memories were somewhere deep down. But for the time being, all I could do was try to ask him about himself as well as myself.

     "So...we were-are friends?" I asked.

     "Oui. Since childhood. Our mothers were old college friends."

     "Really?"

     Francis simply nodded, his eyes brightening slightly.

     "I'm...I'm sorry for being snippy with you when you first got here."

     "Please don't apologize. Seeing how that was your first reaction is comforting. As Ludwig said, despite no memories, you haven't really changed. Or at least, your feelings towards me haven't changed." He laughed slightly at his own comment.

     I let out a relieved sigh. Perhaps everything wasn't so bleak as I once thought. I may not have had my memories and that was saddening, but at least my instincts are still intact. At this moment, that seemed to be all I needed.

     The room remained silent for a while, but it was a comfortable silence. Though it did become slightly boring. Francis went scrolling through his phone, but I didn't know where mine was. Most likely broken considering I was in a car accident and even if it was fine, I was pretty sure I had a password or something, but I couldn't remember what that password was. Francis must have noticed my boredom as he reached into his bag and pulled out a pile of books. "When Ludwig called me, telling me you were up, I decided to bring over some of your favorite books. But now I'm remembering you have a concussion and you shouldn't be reading."

     "Then what can I do?"

     Francis shrugged, "beats me. Perhaps you can ask the nurse or doctor?"

     I huffed in response. "Fine, but until then I want to get to know you."

     "Okay. So what do you want to know?"

     For the rest of the afternoon, Francis and I talked about our childhood and how I once had a crush on him. Then he began teasing me about it, though I didn't give him the reaction he wanted since I didn't remember any of it. Then we went on talking about school. He told me how he is going into his final year of Theatre studies over in New York. It's summer now so neither of us has to worry about classes. I'm only heading into my third year according to him. He told me next time he'll bring me tea if the nurses say it's okay. He was much more talkative than Ludwig, but at the same time, I found my mind wandering to him. Perhaps it was that instinct again since he was my boyfriend. Of course, Francis began teasing me once more when I would space out about this.

     "Be patient mon ami, he'll be here tomorrow morning," Francis singsonged."Oh shut up!"

     Francis only laughed for the millionth time. His fit was interrupted by the buzzing of his phone. His laughter only continued when he opened up the message. "Looks like you'll be seeing him sooner than you expect. Alfred has come down with a cold so Ludwig will be coming back this evening." I felt my face flush and my heartbeat quicken which only encouraged the Frenchman beside me. Eventually, I ripped out one of my pillows and threw it at his stupid face.