deux

2. une nuit pleuvieuse
[a rainy night]

The sound of the raindrops echoed against the glass panels. It was raining yet again.

Like all the other territories, Busan hadn't seen the sunlight for over months now. Everyone was just so consumed in their pursuit of power, that they had succumbed to their passions, giving up their hope to live.

Perhaps this was God's way of punishing everyone by turning nature against themselves.

Lisa boringly stared outside the wall sized window ㅡ only to find grey clouds reaching beyond the horizon. Her slim body slouched against the window frame, with a sudden want to explore the outside world.

She knew it was dangerous. Jungkook wouldn't let her be outside. Not even for a minute.

She wanted to feel the petrichor, even if it meant only for once.

"Ms Kim." Min Soojung, the elderly woman voiced out, making Lisa frantically turn her head to face her.

The woman who looked after the household chores along with the other staff, instantly took note of the grief that settled in the young girl's eyes.

"You want to go out?" She asked in a tiny voice, faintly reaching to Lisa's ear as she slowly nodded.

"Yes please."

When Jungkook returned, there wasn't a trace of Lalisa in the entire manor. The girl who would always wait for him behind the pillars had suddenly disappeared.

He couldn't simply just walk up to his staff to ask about her whereabouts; it would directly point a question, that why exactly he was so worried for her. Instead, he looked up around each hook and crook, checked the basements, all the rooms and bunkers by himself where she might've possibly trailed her footprints.

A gasp of horror flushed in his face.

"Where the hell did the woman go?!" He yelled, terrifying all the workers that stood quivering before him.

"S-s-sir..." Soojung stuttered.

"She went out, she said she'll be back-"

"Out? Why! Doesn't she know how much of a danger she isn't in? Who let her out!?"

Just then, a faint voice spoke into one of Jungkook's earpieces. A moment later, a girl wearing a black oversized hoodie stepped in, drenched golden locks peeking out from the side. The hood slipped down a little, revealing her face.

Jungkook grabbed the girl furiously by her shoulders, turning her to face him.

"I-I...." she tried to explain, but her lips trembled, her body shivering from staying out in the rain for long.

"Do you think it's so easy out there for you to go and roam around? Especially if it's an immature kid like you who loves to invite dangers?!"

"I j-j-just wanted some fresh air...can we p-please talk in-"

"No were not. Why should we, let everyone know the consequences of stepping out of the comfort they're getting to face the grim reality outside. Did you perhaps forget the consequences in which I found you?!" He raised his voice, sternly mocking her.

Lisa had heard enough. The pressure within her finally found a way to burst outside, just right after Jungkook's comment.

"Yes, I did walk out. You wanna know why? Cause I feel pathetic, trapped inside. It's so suffocating, I feel as if I'm more of a hostage to your than a refugee. Why would you save me then, you could've let me die instead. Because this is another living hell you want me to rot in? Answer me, Jeon."