two

The sky was the blue and the grass was green. Those were the only things that stayed the same. It seemed as if in the Glade, everything was always changing. Everything could be taken away in an instant, and you wouldn't even know it was coming.

"What are you thinkin' about, shuckface?" a boy said, sitting down in the grass, next to the girl.

Vera looked up at Minho. He was tall and tanned and always knew when something was wrong.

She sighed, and flopped down onto the ground, closing her eyes, trying to get them away from the harsh sunlight.

"I want to get out of here," she mumbled.

Minho looked down at her. Everyday he ran through the Maze, and not once has he found a way out. He made a vow to himself, back in the early days of the Glade, that he would find a way out of here, for her. He couldn't help but feel like he was letting her down.

"Me too," Minho said.

"You think one day we will?" she asked, blue eyes staring up at him.

"We will, I promise," he said.

Minho knew better than to make a promise he couldn't keep, but her blue eyes were looking at him like the fate of the only world they've ever known rested on his shoulders, and in some ways, it did. He would get them out of there. He had to.