eighteen

The funeral was held the next day.

Minho watched as the girl he loved was buried six feet down in the dirt. He felt numb. How could something so pure be taken away overnight?

No one said anything. For most of the Gladers, this was the most heart-breaking funeral they've ever had to endure.

Thomas watched. He stood back in the crowd, not wanting to draw attention to himself.

He watched Chuck, the small, twelve-year-old boy, cry. Tears falling down his face, as if they would never stop.

He watched Gally, who got released from the Slammer, just for this. It seemed like Alby, who never went against the rules, was okay with breaking them just this once. Gally was standing there, fists clenched and body shaking, like he was holding back sobs.

He watched Frypan, the tall boy who always smiled. He watched him cry, tears leaving stains on his cheeks.

He watched Winston, the boy whose face was covered in acne. He was scowling at the ground, like he was angry with the world.

He watched Clint and Jeff, the Med-jacks, excused from their duty of watching over the girl who came up in the Box, the girl in a coma. He watched them exchange looks, as if they were thinking of the memories they once shared with the girl in the grave.

He watched Newt. He was sobbing, not trying to hide the pain he felt, it was written all over his face.

He watched Minho. He knew Minho was experiencing pain far worse than the others. He watched the tall Asian stare at the grave. His face was expressionless, but his eyes told a different story. He was glaring at the grave, almost as if he were angry with her, angry that she left him.

Thomas felt out of place here. They were mourning, they all had their own memories with the girl, memories he never made. He snuck away, leaving the Gladers to mourn in peace. He shouldn't be there; it didn't feel right for him to be there.