thirteen

Minho and Vera were walking around the Glade. The sky was dark, but the bright stars seemed to make up for the lack of light. The bonfire ended, and most of the other Gladers were in bed by now. A few were still sitting around and talking, trying to make the most out of the festivities before they had to go back to the same routine the next day.

"I have a bad feeling about Thomas," Vera said quietly, looking down at her fingers interlocked with Minho's.

He scoffed, "that ugly shuckface?"

"Chuck told me something, y'know. Said the Greenie was talking about how it's his destiny to become a Runner or something. Greenie's don't talk like that."

This made Minho's interest spike, but he shook it off, "I wouldn't worry about it, he's probably all klunk anyways."

Vera debated on whether or not she should tell Minho what Gally said to her earlier, but she decided she should.

"Gally recognized him. From the Changing. Said he worked with the Creators," Vera said, whispering out the last part, like it hurt her to talk about them. Whoever they were.

"C'mon, Vera. You're really listening to Gally?"

But Minho noticed the serious look on Vera's face, and chose his next words carefully.

"I'll keep an eye on him, yeah? If it's really his so-called destiny to become a Runner, I'll be spending a lot of time with him anyways," he said.

Vera nodded, but she still couldn't shake off the bad feeling she got.

"I'm gonna head to bed," she said, looking up at Minho.

"Good that. I'm getting tired too. Goodnight shuckface," Minho said.

"Night slinthead," Vera said, rolling her eyes and letting go of his hand.

Vera walked away, and with every step she took she felt her heart ache. It was a weird feeling, something she didn't like. She would see him tomorrow. She kept repeating that to herself over and over again in her head, but her heart was telling her otherwise.

Vera settled into her bed, pulling the covers over her that felt like they were made of straw. She fell into a deep sleep, she felt as if she were falling into a coma, one she wouldn't be able to wake herself up from.