eight

Minho finished running for the day. He walked up to the Med-hut, not hurt, just wanting to see Vera. He saw the ginger with Gally, cleaning a cut on his hand. They were laughing, something so simple, something Vera does with everyone, but for some reason, the sight of them made his stomach turn and blood boil.

That's when he knew. He knew Vera wasn't just a friend. She would always be so much more. Minho knew that at some point, every shank in the Glade harboured some sort of feelings for Vera. But for Minho, it was different. His feelings ran deeper than a hormonal teenage boy with only one girl in the Glade. This was Vera. His best friend. He loved her. He was in love with her.

But this was the Glade. There wasn't time for feelings. So, Minho did the one thing he knew best, he ran.

"Did Minho just run out of here?" Vera asked, confusion on her face.

"Yeah, I think so," Gally said.

Vera sighed, "I should go, y'know. Check up on him."

Gally nodded, a smirk on his face. He wasn't dumb. It was obvious. It was the most stupidly obvious thing in this shuck place. They loved each other. You'd have to be the most foolish shank to not realize that.

"Yeah, go check up on him."

Something about the way Gally said that made Vera turn red, "shut up, Slinthead."

Though, she still turned around and went to find Minho.

He was near the Map room, just standing there. Arms crossed, making his muscles stick out. Vera breath got caught in her throat, but she did her best to shake it off.

"You okay, shuckface?" Vera asked.

"Fine." Minho muttered, eyes looking anywhere but at her.

"You're not fine," Vera said, "what's wrong?"

"I said I'm fine, drop it!" Minho hissed angrily.

Vera was taken aback. She knew Minho was impulsive and got angry easily, but he was never like this with her.

"What the shuck has gotten into you?" Vera said, walking over to him till they were face to face.

"You! You've gotten into me!" Minho seethed, but his angry gaze was faltering.

He couldn't be angry with her. It wasn't her fault. It was Minho's fault that he fell in love with his shuckin' best friend.

"What are you talking about, Minho?" Vera said muttered.

"I'm shucking in love with you, Slinthead!"

"What?" Vera mumbled quietly.

Minho was mentally cursing himself. How stupid could he really be? What possessed him to say those words out loud?

He could take it back right now. It would be better that way. The Glade wasn't a place to be in love with someone, but he couldn't help but not want to take it back.

"You heard me," Minho said, but he didn't sound as confident as he hoped he would.

"I'm in love with you too, shuckface," Vera said.

This wasn't the place at all. They've always been Minho and Vera, best friends. Would it ever be the place though? Would they ever find the right time?

Minho reacted on instinct, like he's been waiting for this moment to happen. He grabbed her face with his hands and placed a kiss on her lips. It was soft, not something she'd expect from Minho, but then she deepened the kiss, her hands making their way to his hair. It was passionate and full of love and life and hope and even a bit of fear.

They pulled away, breathing heavily, both too afraid to say anything.

"So now what?" he whispered.

"We can't be together, not yet," Vera whispered back.

"I know," he said.

The Glade wasn't a place to be in love, but ever since that day, everyone knew something was different. It was in the way he stood closer to her, arm always reaching for her first when there was the slightest sense of danger. It was in the way he would look at her when she wasn't looking at him, a light in his eyes no one's seen before. It was the way she would silently grab his hand, locking her fingers with his, not realizing that people were looking because all she could focus on was him. The other Gladers knew they were no longer Minho and Vera, best friends. They were something more.