11. Charles' Revenge

The day ended with a massive celebration, including a ceremonial handoff of the official "Shop of the Year" banner from Charles to Jack. He hung it proudly above the door, making it visible for all of his customers to see when he entered. Charles, however, was less than content with the results. He returned to his store and kicked over a small table.

"How is that Night's little thrift shop beat my store?! MY STORE! I've supplied some of the most famous wizards ever with luxury items."

It was barely 5 o' clock in the afternoon, and Charles returned home to his mansion in Kensington. He sat in his study for hours, thinking about how he lost a contest he was so used to winning. Suddenly, the doorbell rang and interrupted his train of thought. He opened the door to reveal one of his friends from the Ministry.

"Well, well, well, Mr. James Cantwell. Good to see you."

"I would say it's good to see you too Charles but with that look on your face, it's clear that you're upset. What's wrong."

"Oh, I've just lost a little contest is all. But please, come in."

The two sat down in Charles' living room, drinking two glasses of fine brandy. James pulled out a newspaper and turned to the third page

"This wouldn't happen to be the contest you lost would it?"

The paper was from last week, and the page described the race as close between Charles and Jack, separated by only one vote, which is in margin for a recount.

"See that doesn't make sense, how does he happen to get three more votes just in time to win the contest and deny me a recount? James, do you know anything about Jack Night that I don't?"

"Not sure. Seems like a fine man. I saw him at the Ministry of Magic a couple of weeks back, same day you came to do business with my department. He was coming from the third floor."

"Wait, I'm sorry, what did you just say?"

"That Jack came up from the third floor when I saw him at the Ministry."

"Tell me James, what's on the third floor?"

"Um, the Department of Artifacts, and some other administrative offices."

"And among those administrative offices, is the office for the Shop Owners Association. I'm sure Jack went down to sway the contest his way."

"Well you certainly would know about these sorts of things Charles, more than me anyways."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Charles, don't you think it's a bit odd that you, a Diagon Alley shop owner, owns a mansion like this. I'm surprised no one has figured it out yet. Your shop costs a lot of money to run, and if it wasn't for you skipping on your taxes, and me hiding that fact from the Department of Accounting, you wouldn't have any of this. All I'm saying is you know how to use the system to your advantage."

"Yes, well, I'm able to do that because I have connections. Jack shouldn't because he knows nobody in the Ministry."

"Except his partner, Jane Reynolds."

"But she can't help him with these things, she's just a historian. There's foul play afoot here James, and I'm going to get to the bottom of this."

Charles grabbed his jacket and stormed out of the house, leaving James in charge while he was gone. Quickly he apparated to Diagon Alley, where the party had ended. The street had been cleaned up from the celebration and all the stores appeared to be closed for the day, all except for Night's Nearly Everything Emporium.