Chapter 3

I woke up to find the demon staring at me from the edge of the bed.

"Soul number two. Down the street.", he instantly said to me the moment I opened my eyes. I sat up and quickly threw a pillow at him.

"You left me with an angry ghost when you could've helped me. I stayed up all night, so let me sleep.", I angrily said at the demon before going back to sleep.

I woke up again during noon to find the demon at the corner of the room, far from the edge of my bed.

"Soul number two. Down the street.", he repeated what he said earlier but he wasn't looking at me. He was looking at the other pillow I was holding, clearly preparing himself in case I throw another pillow at him again. I sighed and got up from bed, completely ignoring the demon as I cleaned myself up.

"Where?", I asked him after stealing some bread from the kitchen. He was now seated on my chair again.

"You know the lady who's staring out the balcony of her house every time you see her?", the demon asked me.

"She's dead?", I asked with a shocked expression written all over my face.

"No, but her daughter is.", he sighed, there was then this clear shift in the atmosphere within my room.

"She has a daughter? Since when?", I assumed that the woman didn't have a family as I never really saw anyone with her nor have I ever seen her smile.

"She had one. But she died 15 years ago.", the demon said with this unreadable look on his face. I could only keep quiet as I didn't know what to say after I've heard this information about the woman we've always assumed as mean and grumpy.

"We should go there once the sun sets, that's when we'll be able to meet her.", he said and was clearly not in the mood to joke around. He immediately disappeared into thin air again, leaving me wondering about what happened to the woman's daughter and why the demon seemed to be so affected.

We walked towards the old house together but he disappeared once again when I saw the ghost he was talking about. She looked much scarier than the first ghost I've helped, much scarier as her body was covered with blood and dirt. It also doesn't help that every part of her body seemed to be either bruised or stabbed. She was the ghost I saw every time I walked home with Minjoo, but never would I have thought that she's the woman's daughter as the woman looked quite old while she only looked a few years older than me. I forgot that ghosts don't age and remain to look the same as how they died.

She was so focused on looking up at the house's balcony, she didn't seem to notice that I was there. I slowly approached her, unsure of how to call for her attention. I carefully tried to reach for her shoulder but abruptly took my hand back when she looked like she was so shocked by the sudden contact.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!", I thought I would be the one screaming but the ghost beat me to it. She let out this high-pitched scream and stepped back while looking at me with a shocked and scared expression.

"Why are you the one screaming? You're the ghost.", I said what was already obvious.

"You can see me?", she then frantically waved her hands in front of me to check and put her hands over her mouth in shock when she confirmed it.

"Yes and I'm here to help.", I proudly said like I knew how to help her when I barely know anything about her to know how. The ghost suddenly crouched down on the ground and started crying. I just stood there not knowing what to do. It was awkward to just stand there and let the girl cry her heart out. Should I crouch down with her? Pat her back to comfort her? Say "it's gonna be okay" to the dead girl?