Chapter 6: Special Occasion Shoes

Had this part in my notes. Hence the fast post
/\/\

My phone ringing at two a.m. was not the abnormal part. Betty or Veronica and sometimes even Josie called me at weird times with weirder problems and I never minded the excuse to talk to someone. But the weird thing about this two a.m. call was that it was Jughead. Jughead never called me so of course I answered figuring it was probably urgent.

"What do you want Hobo?" I said, sitting up.

"They have Toni," Jughead answered.

I rubbed my eyes. "Who has Toni?"

"The Ghoulies."

I went to my closet and grabbed some exercise clothes and my hunting cape. "And who are those again?"

"Remember the drag race?"

"Damn. tell me where to be I'll be there in fifteen with my bow and arrow."

Jughead told me somepark then hung up. I tied my hair up, brushed my teeth, got dressed and put on deodorant in record time. I slipped out the back door grabbed my bow and somee arrows then hopped in the Thunderbird and flew to the Southside. I met Jughead where he told me to and we made a plan. I was waiting in the forest watching the whole thing go down.

It's just Jughead, some lady named Penny and Toni bound up, struggling and screaming. Then a clan of face painted Ghoulies show up, jughead does the signal and I step into the clearing.

"Untie her you Serpent hag," I snap aiming my arrow at Penny's chest.

"I brought backup too," Jughead point out.

Toni looks at me with wide, scared eyes. The lead Ghoulie, the one from the drag race, walks over to Toni and drags a grimy finger along her jaw.

I aim my arrow at his thigh. "Get your hands off her," I shout taking a step closer.

Malachi the Ghoulie turns and faces me, my arrow now pointed at his groin.

"I won't hesitate to shoot."

He raises his hands up and drops his pocket knife. "You can take the girl. Penny, let her go," Malachai begs.

Penny scoffs but cuts the ropes off Toni's wrists and ankles. Toni runs to me, wrapping her arms around my waist and pressing her head against my heart as a few tears leak onto my clothes. I wrap my free arm around her and wait for Jughead to say we could go.

/\/\/\

"What's so special about today that requires me to get out of my pajamas?" I asked not looking up from my phone. I was laying on toni and her uncles couch while Toni was in her room getting dressed.

"I want to thank you for saving me," Toni answered me.

"You already did that. Two weeks ago."

"You making me brownies and then us making out doesn't count," Toni says emerging from her room. "We can even go to the mall."

I pop off the couch. "You had me at mall," I say and prance to Toni's room where I have my bag and clothes. I get dressed in red pants and black blouse with cherries on it quickly and brush out my hair until it falls down my back like silk then put on some simple makeup.

"How do you do all that so quickly?" Toni asks looking up from her phone when I walk back into the living room.

"Practice. Let's go. The good stuff will be gone if we wait any longer."

"I doubt that," Toni said but she got off the couch, shrugged on a plain leather jacket and followed me to the car.

I was in the passenger seat and she looked at me with her head tilted to the side. I tossed her the keys and kicked my feet onto the dashboard. "You're driving."