Chapter 9: Happily Ever After (final part)

Eight years later

I tiptoed down the hallway, trying not to let my heels make noise on the marble tiles. I held my top lip between my teeth as I snuck into the kitchen and up behind Toni. I smiled maniacally as I wrapped my hands around her eyes and waited for her reaction.

Toni jerked forward and I heard the sharp sound of marble hitting porcelain as her coffee mug hit the counter, she wriggled and whacked at my arms. "What the hell Cheryl? I spent so much time on my hair and make up!" Toni exclaimed, finally slipping out of my grasp.

I smiled as I pulled Toni close by her wrist and pressed a chaste kiss to her lips. I leaned back, "Sorry, Cha-cha," I whispered. Toni rolled her eyes and pulled me into a passionate kiss that was shorter than I would have liked it to be.

"Are you ready, Cherry?" Toni asked, looking me up and down. She straightened a topaz necklace she gave me on our second wedding anniversary that was hanging around my neck.

I tugged slightly at the edges or my white lace top and plastered a confident smile on. "Never been more confident," I said as my insides trembled and twisted into knots.

Toni looked up at me, raising an eyebrow. She was taller than she normally was in her high heels but I was also wearing heels which made myself still the taller one. She was wearing a dark magenta dress with spaghetti straps and a neckline that was bordering on inappropriate. She had grown to like dressing up on business occasions but her flannel mesh aesthetic was still in play every other day, not that I was complaining. She reached out her left hand and took my right hand in it.

I felt the warm metal of her wedding and engagement rings pressing into my hand and the cool touch of the promise ring I gave her on my hand that she wore on special occasions. I smiled. "This is big for us. We just inherited even more money," I said lightly.

Toni frowned slightly. "And you about to become the official face of Blossom Industries to the public. This is stressful."

I squeezed her hand. "This is no big deal. I've been the CEO for seven years now and we still had time to travel Europe, get married, build a new house and go to college."

"I worry about you though, Cherry." Toni pulled me into a bear hug, her chin resting on my shoulder as we stood in that position just focusing on each other and letting the rest of the world fall out of focus. I breathed in the scent of my wife and pulled back.

"We should go now," I said and Toni nodded.

/\/\/\

Toni and I stood in the lobby of the Pembroke while our publicity manager gave a speech and introduced us. I linked our hands and we stepped through the automatic doors and into the public eye. There were applause and some boos as we stepped onto the platform. The publicity manager stepped to side and I stepped up to the lectern and took a minute to scan the crowd as I smiled.

"Hello everyone, thank you for being here today," I said into the microphone. "In the light of the recent tragedy involving my Nana my wife and I are honored to become the faces of Blossom Industries. In the past there has been so much turmoil between Riverdale and Blossom Industries and I plan on fixing that."

I feel Toni gazing at me and I smiled brighter. I continued speaking on our transparency policy and devotion to the best maple syrup quality. I also touched on the charity Toni and I had recently opened that helped victims of domestic abuse. At the end of my speech I held my breath as the publicity manager opened me to questions after the applause died down. I bit back a smile at the positive response. I looked back at Toni who had pride shining in her eyes and was smiling widely.

/\/\/\

"You were great out there," Toni gushed when we got back to our house.

She took my hands into hers and bounced up and down. I laughed and started bouncing around. I kicked off my heels and Toni followed my lead and soon it was just me and my wife of four and a half years jumping and dancing wildly in out kitchen. I finally felt my throat cracking with dryness and pulled myself away from the mini party and walked to the fridge and poured myself a glass of water.