13 Soldiers & Sabotage

Gareth didn't return the night before, a fact that Cinderella relished. She begged me to fix her up lovely again. When she demanded to practice eating in a nice dress, I tapped her nose and asked if she'd consider a regular frock.

"We don't have many, darling. And we must look perfect for parties."

Big blue eyes wide, she nodded. Her enthusiasm was infectious. We waited in the hall, Poppy and Piglet dressed somewhat casually but carried themselves with grace. Once we were in a line, I started down the stairs and Cinderella mimicked us. She looked splendid. Even her entry into the room was well versed.

I gazed at this tiny chameleon, smitten.

With the cook freshly fired, I expected a less-than-stellar breakfast. That was not the case. Everything was set out perfectly.

But with Gareth, the monster gone, I supposed the new villain was I because...Edmond did not serve me.

Cinderella noticed right away. "Edmond." When the man in question paused to regard her, Cinderella remembered her faux breeding and sat up straight, saying, "And Stepmother?"

Two white eyes, dotted with dark pupils, rotated from her and settled in my direction. With that, Edmond marched out and returned. He plopped the bowl of soup before me, uncaring that it spilt over onto the tablecloth.

The girls gave off an audible gasp.

I...drew in my breath. He was angry. Rightfully so.

But with the eyes on me, I bowed to my children and said, "Sometimes, such things may arise. But do not lose heart. You persevere."

Cinderella gave an eager nod and said, "And complain?"

Poppy gasped. "No. You do not complain. The servant will be fired...or slapped."

"Or whipped," Piglet chimed.

Still staring wide-eyed, Cinderella looked between them. "And this is bad?"

That notation had me surprised.

I leaned to the right so that I would catch her gaze. "Cinderella, darling, you wouldn't like that to happen to you, would you?"

"But I am not a servant," she said, confused.

I couldn't counter her point. The chance faded when Edmond walked out.

We ate in silence after that. Poppy complimented Cinderella's grace. It still needed polish, but I saw the potential.

My focus should have lain here, but instead, I worried about Edmond.

Because this was a practiced meal, it took quite some time to come to an end. I nearly forgot my status and ran to exit the house. Each time I hiked up my dress to hurry, I reminded myself to stop.

The girls went about their chores and I found Edmond doing his own. He returned with firewood which he began to chop.

Winter was some months off, but the thought had me hurrying toward him. Even the chill of autumn he hated. "Be sure to keep a good amount for yourself."

Silence.

He chopped the peg. Perhaps imagining me on the other end of that axe.

No matter, I knew Edmond. He was a talker and a man of reason. He'd see reason soon enough.

But as the time drew on, he hardly behaved like the Edmond I'd known.

This manor, this estate held painful memories for us, but surely it also held some good ones.