Fun Facts / Q&A

Thank you for taking the journey to the end of "Perception" with me. If you've got a moment, I'll tell you some fun facts.

1. I hadn't planned to write this story. It just came to me one Friday morning and I wrote the first chapter.

2. Though I hadn't planned to write Perception, I had felt inspired to retell this particular story. But literally retell by taking the original and changing personality aspects. It would come from the POV of a young servant boy who relayed all the happenings. And when I sat down to write, THAT was the story I meant to. Therefore, I have no idea how the first line came out as it did.

3. This was originally a one-shot and would have remained as such forever if someone hadn't said, "I want more."  The one-shot itself was very well-received. Perhaps the best so far. By itself, it had about 500 views before I decided to give a short story a try.

4. I'd meant to expand the short story to about 10 chapters. That failed and so I decided, okay, novella it is. That, too, failed. I started panicking at chapter 20 because it should have ended at chapter 10 and nobody's going to read to chapter 20 so I thought about cutting things out. That's when one reader, who was my cheerleader, HurricaneKareena said, "A book should be as long as a book needs to be." And she was right. Knowing she wasn't upset with this, at the time, 40k "short story" gave me the confidence to keep going, so I took my time with it and it reached 30 chapters. 31 with the bonus. So thank you, Kareena.

5. I hadn't planned on Edmond and Raphael. (For more DETAILED info about them, please visit the "BONUS / Poppy / Info" chapter.)

6. The MC isn't named, and that forced me into the First Person narrative. Otherwise, I usually write in Third. And no, she will never receive a name because there are reasons for that. There are so many instances when a woman loses her name.

7. My favorite character is Piglet. 😊

8. I was trying to make Gareth somewhat sympathetic but nothing worked. People just hated him with the passion of a burning sun. Bad guy fail....

9. I was very surprised but happy to keep the original personalities, original story lines, etc. In a way, I hoped this 'tacked on' a new story to the old, rather than contaminated it.

10. This isn't fan fiction. Even though Disney seemingly owns the world, this original fairy tale predates Disney, and therefore, I tried my best to not use their characters. How did I do?

11. This is still a first draft and will receive an edit in a few months.

So, did any of this surprise you? Do you have any questions?  Poppy received her own spinoff with "For My Next Trick..."

Do you have any questions? Ask them here 🙋