BONUS (Poppy)

My twentieth birthday came with a miserable letter. It was from Edmond.

How are you faring? Please do not forget that you can come to visit us whenever the mood strikes you. I've included a better allowance this time around. Please be sure to retrieve it from the bank.

Things are fine here. The garden grows well and the weather is keeping us in good spirits. Your mother speaks of you each day.

With that, I crumpled the letter and let it fall to the floor.

My intent was to write back a shockingly stern reply to convince him to do a number of things. One, stop referring to that so-called mother in each correspondence. Two, stop sending money when it was more than obvious they were in need of it. I'd stopped school part way to ensure they not pay yet again in advance. Yes, I'd wanted to remain, but Edmond was far too generous.

I blamed myself for how I'd left. My words were too harsh, too threatening. Saying that I'd know their love by what they spent had sounded bold and proper at the time. Now, knowing the amount they spent on me, almost foolishly so, each letter of praise and love came with guilt and regret.

And thirdly, I wanted him to stop showering me with love. I didn't deserve it.

In school I'd found a job and stopped my studies. Then a better opportunity presented itself, so I left yet again.

Each time, it was of my own choosing and to the dismay of all the noblewomen who counted on me to educate their children, but I did not care.

Whenever a sense of comfort loomed, I wanted to run. So now, to be twenty and still in the house of the same duke and duchess after a year was...a problem.

Another letter rested on the table but I dared not open it. It was written with my proper name—that meant another job.

To be coveted due to my reputation should have been a source of happiness, but I hated it. With a heavy sigh, I stood and sashayed around the study in my heavy, expensive dress. At one time I'd love the opulence. I'd wanted nothing more than the finer things. But upon reaching all my goals, a void still remained. And I did not know how to fill it. Studying had no effect. Working had no effect. And now...even the lovely possessions I'd accumulated...had no effect.

Why was someone so well cared for blighted with a heart that was still shriveling up? I was unsure. What was I missing?

It was time to leave. As I stared out the window at the lavish garden and beautiful flowers weaved throughout, I decided it was time to depart...quickly.

A ruckus of footsteps came from the hall and I shut my eyes. He was back.

Hands balled into a fist, I turned and waited for Lana to appear in the doorway, which she did.

She looked sweet for her age and she was a fast learner. But towering over her was the big lummox I simply could not shake.

"Oh, were you two about to have a lesson?"

I stared him down. Jet black hair draped over blue eyes, a well-fitting vest accentuating his strong physique, I willed him to simply vanish into ether.

The duke and duchess had one son. One very tall, loud, crass, yet handsome, but ultimately tactless son. And they'd doted on the nincompoop for ages before their saving grace, Lana, appeared. She was a gift from beyond.

Lana focused heavily on me. Whatever she found in my expression, she turned to look up at her big, dumb brother and shooed him with both hands.

"We're going to practice table etiquette. It's no lesson for boys."