26 Warriors & Offers

I needed reinforcements, so I waited. Sure enough, Poppy and Piglet found me, gasping from their run.

They pointed but I said, "I know. We must devise a plan."

"How did she get my dress!" Poppy demanded.

Our eyes met and the accusation there made me feel small. "Let us get her first before—"

Gasp after gasp broke out and I closed my eyes, praying I was wrong.

"No. Please, no."

But yes. I turned to follow the charming couple as Cinderella walked arm in arm with the addled prince.

His eye stayed transfixed on her to a sickening degree. I half expected him to drool.

One problem presented itself, he did not dance.

Cinderella helped him fix his arms before she positioned herself before him.

A small smile formed, and the man stepped closer.

Someone shoved him aside and took his place. "Now, miss," the once slighted prince drawled, "you owe me a dance."

Cinderella's expression turned cold. "Perhaps you can find one from one of your many admirers. As you can see, I am engaging with someone else at this moment."

Prince Archibald, the one-eyed prince, stared at his brother's back. He looked ready to say something but in time gave up and lumbered back into the crowd toward his chair.

Cinderella watched him go and gasped. "Wait. I promised your mother—"

The prince caught her hand and she slipped free.

"I do not wish to dance with you at this very moment, sir. Isn't that clear?"

"A slight like this will not go unanswered," he warned. "Now stop making a spectacle."

Their squabble drew the king's focus away from his dancing guest. He looked beyond pleased with the turnout but squinted at the sight of Cinderella's plight.

Upon closing the space between them, he asked Cinderella, "Child, whatever is the matter?"

She glanced from the king to the prince then back again and said, "I'd promised a dance to dear Mr. Archibald—"

"Prince Archibald?"

Cinderella blinked in surprise. "Oh, he is a prince?"

The unwelcomed prince at her side grumbled under his breath, "As if you didn't know."

The king narrowed his gaze at his nephew and said through gritted teeth, "You'd be wise to win her favor for what you've done, because you will not be winning mine until that time."

"Uncle, it was a harmless jest. Surely—"

"A harmless jest that could have soured talks? How am I supposed to one day trust my kingdom to someone with actions that are so...?"

"Imbecilic," Cinderella offered.

Two blue eyes trained on her as the prince turned his head.

"Imbecilic, is right. It's perfectly correct," the king declared.

"We don't need talks, Uncle, we have might."

"His people have diamonds. Why use might when diplomacy is an option?"

"Well, so are guns."

The words garnered no answer, in fact, the king stared at him in disgust. "Those are the words of a man who has never seen battle. The words of a coward."