Crossroads of Destiny (pt. 2)

I fought alongside Katara as she defended herself from Zuko's fiery blasts with her water whips. I helped Katara as best I could, sending strong gusts of air at Zuko, blocking his fire. As much as I fought against Zuko, not once did he fight back or send fire in my direction. This made me feel even more guilty than I already felt.

   "I thought you had changed!" Katara shouted at Zuko, still quarrelling with him. Zuko glanced at me, his eyes cold.

    "I have changed." He sent a fire punch in Katara's direction, which she disintegrated with her water whip. Suddenly, Dai Li agents came swarming in from all sides. A group of them surrounded Katara. She stood in the center of a water barrier she created to protect herself, but her heat wouldn't last long. There were too many of them.

   The rest of the Dai Li agents came to Zuko and Azula's aid, standing behind them and waiting for their orders. I was left alone and severely overpowered. There was no way I could stop all of these Dai Li agents as well as Zuko and Azula on my own. Where was Aang? 

    All of a sudden Aang retreated from a glowing crystal encasement, sending a strong wave of air that threatened to knock me over. Pushing my hair away from my face I glanced up to see Aang ascending higher and higher, his eyes and tattoos glowing bright. Relief swelled in my chest, a soft smile growing on my lips. He could save us, I knew he could. 

   Then, I watched in horror as Aang's body was completely overrun with lightning. Azula smirked smugly at the scene, her fingers smoking with from the blast she had just produced. Aang plummeted towards the ground. Frantically, I raced towards him, twiddling my hands to create an air cushion to break his fall. Katara hurried over, balancing on a wave she had created that knocked over every Dai Li agent in it's path.

   Tears streamed down Katara's cheeks as she cradled Aang in his arms. I knew how bad this was. I remembered Aang telling me once that if he was ever fatally wounded in the Avatar state, the Avatar would cease to exist. This wasn't fair. Azula had ruined everything. First Zuko, and now Aang? My eyes stung with tears. 

   Zuko and Azula slowly began to walk toward us, preparing to fight again. Hesitantly, I lifted my arms up in defence, brushing a tear off my cheek. Fire was blasted in their direction, and as they dodged it swiftly, Iroh came to our defence. He stood in front of us and prepared to protect us in any way we needed.

   "You've got to get out of here." He urged. "I'll hold them off as long as I can." Katara cradled Aang in her arms as she retreated from the scene. I followed after her until we reached a waterfall where she used her bending to send us up it. I hoped that Iroh would be alright, knowing that he would no doubt be reprimended for this. 

   When we made it to the surface Sokka and Toph, as well as the Earth King and Bosco his bear, were there waiting for us on Appa. Sokka's hopeful expression quickly turned to one full of concern when he saw the condition that Aang was in. 

   "What happened down there?" Sokka asked. "Is he...going to be alright?" 

  "He's hurt pretty badly." Katara admitted. "Luckily, I still have the water from the spirit oasis." She fiddled with the necklace that contained the water, glowering. "To think I almost used this on Zuko..."

   "We should hurry up and get Aang out of here, Before any more Dai Li agent's come looking for us." Katara nodded softly before passing him over to me. I leapt onto Appa's back using my bending and carefully placed Aang on the saddle. Katara climbed on as well, and with a soft 'yip yip', we were off.

     Katara pulled the necklace around her head and solemnly unscrewed the cap of the vial containing the spirit water. She carefully bended the water out and spun it in the palm of her hand until it began to glow. She gently lifted Aang up, and gingerly placed the spirit water on the wound on his back. The five of us all waited anxiously, praying that it would work. Then, Aang's tattoos softly began to glow, and he quietly coughed. I smiled, and sighed in relief. Thank goodness.

______________________________________________________________________________

Zuko's P.O.V.

     "We've done it, Zuko." Azula said. "It's taken 100 years, but the Fire Nation has conquered Ba Sing Se." She simpered. I didn't feel an ounce of pride. I thought of Uncle, and how disappointed in me he looked. And how hurt (Y/N) looked when she begged for me not to join Azula. Was all of this even worth it?

    "I betrayed uncle." I whispered. "And I hurt (Y/N)."

   "No, he betrayed you." Azula scowled. "And that airbender girl? You're much better off without her. She was keeping you from reaching your true potential." If that was true, why was I the happiest I'd ever been when I was with her? Why do I feel like such a terrible person now, knowing she most likely hates me. I love her. Even if I've made the right decision, I'll be forced to live with the consequences for the rest of my life.