Aang's Party was a Stupid Idea

"Mairu..." I said in disbelief. "How do you know my real name?"

   "You and your little gang have been wanted for months in the Fire Nation." He said, adjusting his crimson headband. "Your faces are on posters everywhere. I recognized you right off the bat, (Y/N)."

    My chest filled with dread. Why didn't any of us take that into account when we decided to throw this cave party? Something like this was bound to happen. I felt incredibly dumb as Mairu smiled softly at me, his eyes missing that light that was present when we danced earlier. 

   "I'm an idiot." I sighed. "You got me. What do you plan to do now? Turn me in?" 

   "No!" He said. "Not at all, actually. To be honest, ever since I heard about you I've really um...admired you." He stared at his shoes, refusing to meet my eyes. "Well, everyone in your gang actually. I think you're all really brave. I've always thought that airbenders were amazing, and well...here you are. You're the only other airbender besides the avatar, and a very courageous one at that." I smiled at him and he grinned back.

  "I want to join you on your mission. I'm not a bender, but I promise I can be of help." His eyes were hopeful. "Please, (Y/N)." 

  "I don't know, Mairu." I admitted. "I'm not exactly sure I can trust you yet, and getting the rest of the gang to trust you is going to be even more difficult. You could be a spy."

  "My grandfather is a servant in the palace. I'll often accompany him on his shifts. I know a lot about the royal family. Things that hardly anyone would know, even in the Fire Nation. I can provide you with any info you need about Firelord Ozai, and I'm willing to do it even if I end up in jail because of it."

  The royal family? Maybe he...

  "Did you know Prince Zuko very well?"

  Mairu simpered. "Yeah! We played together as kids from time to time. It's been years since we've spoken though. Why do you ask?"

   It probably wouldn't be best to tell Mairu about my feelings for Zuko. That kind of info can be used against me if Mairu is some sort of palace spy. 

   "I was just curious, that's all." I gave Mairu a reassuring smile. "Come on! I'll introduce you to the gang."

_____________________________________________________________________________

 "There you are, (Y-" He stopped, almost forgetting that he wasn't supposed to say my name. "I mean, you!" Sokka said when Mairu and I walked into the cave, still filled with people dancing. "I've been looking all over for...who's this?" he pointed at Mairu.

   "This is Mairu." I told Sokka. "The two of us have been hanging out pretty much all night and I wanted to introduce him to you!" Mairu waved at Sokka. Sokka gave him a hesitant nod in return.

   "I'm, Sokka." He said.

   "Nice to meet you." Mairu replied, smiling at Sokka. 

   "Sokka, could I talk to you for a second?" I asked.

   "...We're already talking."

   "I meant alone." I told him, a little annoyed that he hadn't picked up on that at first. "Mairu, do you mind waiting? It won't take long."

   "Yeah no problem!" He trilled. "I'll see you in a bit, (Y/N)." Sokka turned to me with wide, confused eyes before I dragged him by the arm to a spot outside of the cave that was just far enough away from the bustling party.

   "He knows your name!?" Sokka exclaimed. "How does he know your name??".

   I sighed. "He knows all of our names, Sokka, not just mine. We really should have taken into account that our faces are on wanted posters all over the Fire Nation. If someone paid close enough attention to us they'd figure out who we are, disguises aside."

   "Is that what happened with, Milo?"

   "Mairu." I corrected. "And...pretty much." Sokka began to pace in frustration, grabbing fist-fulls of his hair. 

    "I knew Aang's party was a stupid idea..." He muttered to himself.

   "He actually wants to join us on our mission." I explained. "He said his grandfather is a palace servant and he knows secret information about the royal family! He could be really useful to us, Sokka. Especially with the invasion coming up."

   "But what if he's a spy?"

   "I really don't think he is." I admitted. "But just to make sure, we could take turns watching him to make sure he isn't sending any information back to the Fire Nation."

    Sokka stood lost in thought before finally letting out a reluctant sigh. "It doesn't seem like a terrible idea..." He shrugged. "Alright, fine. I'll let the others know." He started back towards the cave. He stopped and turned back to face me.

   "But just so you know if he does end up being a spy of some sort I'm blaming you." He pointed at me before continuing his walk back to the cave.

________________________________________________________________________________

                                                                                  3 days later      

                                                                                  Zuko's POV

    I paced back and forth in my bedroom. The setting sunlight shone through my window, illuminating my room. Guilt and shame swelled in my chest. I had been feeling guilty ever since the night I betrayed uncle and (Y/N) in Ba Sing Se, even though my father and Azula praised me for it. I thought this was what I wanted. I thought this was what would make me the happiest, but Instead I couldn't shake the feeling that I was in the wrong.

   There was a soft knock at my door. 

   "Prince Zuko? Are you in here?" Moji, my servant asked from the other side of my door. I stopped pacing.

   "I am." I said. "You can come in." Moji opened the door and walked in, carefully holding a plate of custard tarts. His eyes looked gloomy and lifeless, and his skin was pale and greyed. 

   "These are for you." He said, offering the plate to me with shaky hands. "Lady Mai told me to bring them to you." I accepted the plate. 

    "Moji, are you alright?" I asked, sincerely. Moji's eyes grew glossy and he blinked away tears.

    "Forgive me, Your Highness, for not being my usual self." Moji pleaded. "My grandson left home without giving me any explanation, and has been gone for a few days now. I'm just...very worried about him that's all.

    "Mairu?" I asked Moji. From what I knew of him he was kind and cared a great deal for his grandfather. It didn't seem like him to just up and leave.

     "Do you have any idea where he might have gone?" Moji nodded.

     "I have an idea." He told me. "He was very sympathetic towards the Avatar and the group that travels with him, especially the Airbender girl. I think he went looking for them. "

    I almost dropped the plate of tarts. Mairu had gone looking for (Y/N).