The Note

"(Y/N)!"

    I was met by the tight embrace of my sister who I hadn't seen in what felt like years. I melted into the hug Kumi gave me, hugging her just as tightly.

   "I was so worried about you! You've been on my mind everyday since you left." Kumi said, her voice choked up.

  "It's so good to see you again." I beamed, releasing from the hug and meeting Kumi's watery eyes and smiling face. She turned to Sokka and Toph who were both looking at me with confused expressions.

  "Oh, I'm sorry! I haven't even introduced myself yet." Kumi giggled. "I'm Kumi, (Y/N)'s sister."

  "Nice to meet you, Kumi! This is Toph, and I'm Sokka." He wiggled his brows with a flirty look on his face. I shot him a death glare, Sokka rolling his eyes in response.

  "I'm sorry Kumi, but we're actually in a bit of a hurry." I was growing antsy from still being so close to the tea shop, and to Zuko. "We should really meet up sometime soon, though! We have so much to catch up on."

  "I agree. Why not tomorrow at the fruit stand? Just like old times." Kumi grinned.

  "I'd love that." I said warmly. "I'll catch you later, Kumi!" I waved goodbye to her as she walked into the tea shop. Sokka, Toph and I started down the street.

  "You're sisters ho--"

"I don't want to hear it, Sokka."

_____________________________________

      I sat on the window seat in my room, watching as the sun disappear into a thin, bright line on the horizon. I opened the window just enough for me to crawl through. Here I was again. The last time I was in Ba Sing Se I crawled out a window, hoping to make something useful of myself. This time I was chasing after a boy who I knew I shouldn't chase after. Never thought I'd be here.

   I hurried through the dimly lit streets of the city. In the daylight the streets were full of excitement and shouting merchants. Now, the vendors were covered and shady people hid in the shadows. I pulled my hood over my head. I hated Ba Sing Se at night. How the environment changed into an unsettling one by nightfall. I reminded myself why I was doing this, no matter how silly I felt looking for Zuko.

  I approached the shop from earlier. "The Jasmine Dragon" it read on the hanging sign. I turned around, making sure no one was following me, and rushed into the alleyway behind the shop. Light coming from a window above my head illuminated the alleyway I stood in. Listening carefully, I could hear two voices arguing. I recognized the voices immediately as Zuko and Iroh. I smiled to myself, clutching the note hiding in my pocket.

  "Seems I'm not the only one trying to rat out these firebenders." A voice said from behind me, making me gasp in shock. I turned around, meeting eyes with Jet. The firebender hating psycho who tried to wipe out an entire village. He also had a thing with Katara, but we'll get to that later.

   "Jet." I said, trying to keep my voice as cool and calm as possible.

   "Nice to see you again, (Y/N)." He smirked. "Now tell me, what exactly are you doing here?"

   "My business is my own, nothing to be concerned about. And did you say firebenders?" I asked, trying to hide any trace of a lie in my voice.

   "I'm almost positive these two are firebenders." He pointed towards Zuko and Iroh's window.

   "Listen, Jet. I'm not interested in whatever scheme you're planning, but I'm willing to make a deal with you." I bargained. "I have a note to deliver to the boy who lives in that apartment. If you swear that you won't tell a soul about my note, I won't tell the Dai Li that you're planning to ruin these poor tea shop workers lives and get you arrested. Does that work for you?"

Jet hesitated for a moment, fiddling with the piece of straw that hung from his mouth. He met my eyes and nodded.

"It's a deal." He said.

"Great." I smiled before silently launching myself towards the window with a blast of wind. I placed the note ever so carefully on the window sill before breaking my fall with an air cushion. "Maybe I'll see you around?"

"Maybe." Jet pondered. "Until then, have a nice night (Y/N)."

  "Likewise."

_______________________________________________________________________________

Zuko's Pov:

"Would you like a pot of tea?" Uncle asked. The thought of having anymore tea made my stomach churn with nausea.

"We've been working in a tea shop all day!" I exclaimed. "I'm sick of tea."

"Sick of tea?" Uncle looked at me like I had committed a crime. "That's like being sick of breathing!" I heard a rush of wind fly past the window. I glanced over, eyes meeting a small piece of paper that balanced on the windowsill. Uncle was preoccupied with his tea, and didn't seem to notice.

"Have you seen our spark rocks to heat up the water?" He asked.

"No, I don't think I have." I walked closer to the window, examining the piece of paper. It was a note. I swiftly shoved it in my pocket before uncle saw.

"Weird.I'll be right back." He said before walking out of our apartment. I pulled the note out of my pocket. It read:

"Meet me behind the university at midnight tomorrow. We need to talk.

-(Your first initial)"

  I remembered the incident from earlier today. I understood why she left so quickly, but I wanted so badly for her to stay. At least I have a chance to talk to her now. I have so much I need to tell her. To ask her. Spirits, I missed her so much.

  Uncle walked into our apartment again, holding new spark rocks. I quickly stashed (Y/N)'s note into my pocket.

"I borrowed our neighbours." He said, gesturing towards the rocks. "Such kind people..." He scratched the rocks against each other, igniting a fire that he placed under the tea pot. "Is something bothering you?" He asked. Wow, is it that obvious?

"I'm fine." I lied. I knew he liked (Y/N), but he would probably scold me about putting her in danger. Frankly, I was worried about her safety too, but I had to see her.

"Let me know if you need anything." He said, stirring his tea.

"I will."