Unexpected Developments

"You sure bailed out early last night," Draco broke the silence.

I had a mouthful of toast, so I just shrugged noncommittally. Which was honestly the best case because what was I supposed to say?

Yeah...Graham got handsy so I made an excuse to leave, went upstairs, read a letter from my parents—if you could even consider that a letter—and bawled my eyes out like a stupid girl until I fell asleep.

I swallowed my bite, "Anything exciting happen after I left?"

Draco's eyes widened for just a split second before he replied, "Nothing worth mentioning."

I eyed him suspiciously as he poked at his food.

"Your plan worked though," he added, still playing with his eggs. My eyebrows drew together, not immediately understanding what he was talking about. He looked up when I didn't say anything. "Nott and Parkinson. After you left they were attached at the bloody hip. Then they disappeared for a while, probably off snogging."

My jaw dropped, "No! Ugh, and I missed it!"

Draco just shook his head amused and took a bite.

Suddenly an owl flew overhead and dropped an envelope on the table in front of Draco.

I jumped slightly, which Draco saw and spluttered with his mouth full. I pointed my fork at his face, "Not a damn word."

His laughter ceased as he opened the letter and began reading. His expression tightened and he roughly stuffed the paper back in the envelope when he was done. He stared down at his plate and pushed his food around some more.

I wanted to give him the same courtesy he had given me by not prying about my early exit from the party, but the words fell out of my mouth before I could stop them.

"Everything alright?"

His head snapped up like he had forgotten I was sitting there.

He searched my face for a moment before saying, "Yes. Just a letter from my mother."

"Must be nice," I mumbled, now playing with my food too.

Out of my peripherals, I could see he was watching me. When I looked up he had an eyebrow arched in a silent question. Now I felt obligated to elaborate because I had been the nosey one first.

I sighed heavily, "My parents are just...busy, I guess. I sent them two letters this week and finally got one back last night. They didn't say much." I finished in almost a whisper, staring down at the table unable to meet his gaze.

He didn't say anything, but I was sure he had puzzled together why I didn't return last night. My cheeks were burning with embarrassment. The silence became unbearable and I could feel my walls start to crumble.

"You would just think that they would care a little more after having sent their only child, by herself, to live in another country," I was screaming inside my head for my mouth to shut up, but it didn't, "I don't know why I'm surprised, though. They weren't exactly involved when I was at home either." My cheeks were still red but now caused by the anger I had been keeping bottled up, threatening to burst forth.

I snapped out of it at the sound of approaching footsteps and put my mask back up before turning to see that a few of our housemates were filtering in. Draco's eyes lingered on my face for a moment longer before doing the same.

"Hey! What happened to you last night?" Daphne asked, stifling a yawn.

"Migraine," I shrugged, "Where's Tracey?"