Something to Take the Edge Off

"Well?"

I dropped my bag with a thunk onto the table in front of the couch and looked over my shoulder at Draco, who had halted just inside the doorway while I'd made my way across the living room. His arms were folded across his chest, and he stared at me expectantly.

"Well, what?" I replied as I headed to our room to change out of my robes, which stank of Wormwood. Although I knew exactly what he was referring to, I had banked on having at least a couple of days to prepare for this confrontation, but Draco seemed to have figured out enough in the short span of Potions to have it out right now. So, I would stall until I could find a way out.

Draco huffed and followed me, his footsteps loud on the stone floor. "Don't insult me, Eleanor."

Although my back was to him as I shrugged out of my robes, I could practically hear his lip curl up into a sneer. I turned to face him but didn't meet his eyes or respond as I sniffed at my shirt collar and then my hair, grimacing as the bitter scent assaulted my nose. Deciding that a shower was the only way to banish the stench clinging to me and a great excuse to table this discussion, I kicked out of my shoes and started loosening my tie.

Draco's eyes rounded when I began unbuttoning my shirt, and his whole face flushed red when I let it slide down my arms and fall to the floor, then hooked my thumbs into the waistband of my skirt.

"Bloody hell," he grumbled frustratedly. I stepped out of my skirt, and the corners of my lips tipped up at his reaction until I straightened and was met with him shoving a fluffy wad of fabric in my face as he pointedly looked away.

Letting out a silent sigh, I slipped on my bathrobe, dropping my eyes as I tied the sash. I felt slightly embarrassed for having attempted that somewhat underhanded distraction tactic, but even more so that it had failed miserably.

Of course, I was dating the one person who's stubbornness could outmatch their teenage hormones.

I made to leave and head to the bathroom, but Draco cut me off, blocking the doorway and my only escape route.

He stared down at me, waiting, and when I stayed silent and gave him an I don't know what you're talking about look, he exhaled through his nose, then said, "You've been lying to me."

Having expected that, my voice was even when I spoke next because technically, "I have not lied to you, Draco."

"Well, you sure as hell haven't been telling me the truth," he almost yelled, causing me to jerk back at the sudden outburst.

I studied his face for a moment, but I could see the hurt he was trying to mask with anger and had to quickly look away as the guilt washed over me.

"Tell me what happened after lunch."

"You saw what ha—"

Draco shook his head, silencing me. "Tell me what I didn't see. Explain that look on your face that you know I saw. Or tell me why you're snapping at Pansy or how you can go from perfectly fine one moment to looking like you are going to rip my head off the next, like that day at Borgin and Burkes or Monday morning outside the Great Hall. Just talk to me, damn it."

Fuck.

I should have known. Though I suppose deep down I did know. Known he'd been watching, cataloging the changes. I was either too foolish or so far in denial to think I was doing a decent job of hiding it.

My shoulders sagged, and I nodded. "Ok, just— let me take a shower first." Draco cocked an eyebrow. "I promise."

After a moment, he stepped aside and let me pass, and I quickly slipped around him and into the bathroom.