Insomnia

I laid awake the rest of the night, so I was too exhausted to protest the next morning when Draco grabbed my arm to stop me from leaving when Potions was over. We had a free period next, so I couldn't use the excuse that we would be late to class, and as luck would have it, Snape didn't have a class next either.

Draco half drug me up to the Professor's desk and Snape eyed us questioningly.

"Mr. Malfoy, Miss Blaylock, what can I do for you?" His annoyed tone of voice negated his accommodating words.

"Professor, Eleanor and I were discussing the properties of Dreamless Sleep Potion and were hoping you could settle a disagreement?"

"Go on," he drawled as he began sorting through rolls of parchment.

"Is it possible for a person to still dream after taking the potion?"

Snape's hands stilled, and he looked up at Draco and blinked slowly, "Mr. Malfoy, if you are legitimately asking that question, then you have no business being in NEWT level potions."

"Please, Professor, indulge us."

The Professor gave a long, irritated sigh. I honestly thought he was about to throw us both out when he finally said, "If a person dreams while the potion is in their system, then the potion was flawed. Otherwise, it wasn't a dream."

Draco's head snapped to the side, and he looked down at me with his eyebrows raised in an 'I told you so' way and indicating he now expected me to speak up.

Snape narrowed his eyes at us. "What is this about?"

Draco, still looking at me, nodded his head towards the Professor impatiently.

I heaved a sigh, reaching into the pocket of my robes and held out a vial of the purple potion to Snape. "Can you test the efficacy of this batch?"

Of course, I already knew it was perfect because I had brewed it myself. However, as much as it would wound my ego if Snape found my potion defective, the alternative had me almost wishing for it.

Draco had been very distracting on the last day of the break while I was trying to work down in his lab...

Snape took the vial and rolled it between his fingers, inspecting the physical properties of the liquid before summoning a small cauldron from one of the shelves behind him and emptying the contents of the vial into it. He performed a couple of analysis spells and studied the results for a minute before they dissipated with a flick of his wand. "I detect no errors. Not only is it viable, but this is a rather potent batch. A vial this size would easily yield eight to ten hours, possibly twelve. The standard dose sold in apothecaries provides a maximum of six hours. Anything more is quite difficult—and dangerous—to achieve for many potioneers." He looked up at me from the cauldron with an arched eyebrow, "I assume you brewed this yourself, Miss Blaylock."

"Careful, Professor, that was almost a compliment."

He rolled his eyes shut and gave another annoyed sigh. "Why did you brew this?"

"I wanted to sleep. Dreamlessly." I said flatly.

Draco nudged me, but Snape didn't react to my sarcastic remark. Instead, his face drew into a severe expression.

"Dreamless Sleep potion can be highly addictive if abused, Miss Blaylock. I can't—"

"Don't worry," I cut him off and ignored his glare, "I'm not going to take it anymore. It's—" I dropped my eyes and mumbled, "—not working."

Snape was silent. When I finally peeked up, I found him studying my face.

Having drawn some conclusions, he asked, "Can you wake yourself from them?"