Cut Short

"You're not focusing."

"I'm trying—" But you smell so damn good. It makes me just want to—

"I heard that."

I peeked one eye open, and Draco failed to stay serious as the corner of his mouth curled up into a smug grin.

"Well, it's true. You're making this very hard," I mirrored his smirk.

"A good Occlumens must maintain control despite distractions. A strong shield will keep weaker Legilimens out of your mind, but someone with enough experience will break through eventually. By then, you'll be too exhausted from trying to keep them out that you won't be able to keep anything hidden. They'll have access to everything in your mind."

We had gotten back into our routine of Occlumency training after my drunken breakdown. I had neglected it, and with all the conflicting thoughts and emotions I was trying to bury, my head was a mess. Once everything was back in order, I started feeling like myself again.

Taking the next week off of classes also helped. After downing a couple of potions to combat the nasty hangover I woke up with that Saturday morning, I sought out McGonagall to let her know I was going to take a couple of days to myself. I could see the relief in her eyes, but she just nodded and said she would inform my other professors.

I felt like I could breathe easier when I wasn't being stared at constantly by rooms full of people. Of course, I still received stray looks and heard murmurs in the corridors on my way to the Library or Astronomy Tower and in the Great Hall during meals, but I was able to clear my mind and block them out easily.

By the middle of the week, however, I started getting bored being alone all day. Draco seemed keen to ensure I took the whole week off, so he took it upon himself to keep me occupied by spending the next few days teaching me a new Occlumency technique.

"So," he continued, "you have to trick them. The more ways you know how to, the better protected you are against anyone in any situation."

"I know, I know," I sighed, "You've only explained it a hundred times," I mumbled, but he definitely heard as he arched an eyebrow, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms.

"Well, go on then," he waved one hand in front of him before tucking it back into the crook of his other elbow.

"What?"

"You say you know them," he shrugged. "Prove it."

I narrowed my eyes. He knew I couldn't stand to have my knowledge or abilities questioned, and he was using it against me.

You're going to regret that.

I stood suddenly, causing his brows to draw together slightly in confusion. I walked the few feet across the empty classroom that separated us, and his expression quickly changed from confused to surprised as I straddled and sat on his lap, our noses almost touching. My arms bracketed his shoulders as I gripped the back of his chair, and his hands went instinctually to my hips.

I stared into his eyes, unblinking, inviting him in. Then, a moment later, my mental door rattled.

I pushed all the most important jars back as far as they would go into the dark depths of my mind, where they would be hidden and protected. Leaving the jars full of inconsequential information out in the open for a would-be intruder to sort through, letting them think they were gaining something. This technique could be used on someone I willingly let into my mind or someone trying to break in.

For the sake of practice, I pretended Draco was someone trying to break in. I put up a convincing fight to keep the door tightly shut but slowly started weakening my shield until he was able to break through.