Truth Will Out

"I think I'm getting a migraine, so I'm just going to stay here and go back to sleep."

"Eleanor Victoria Blaylock. You missed the first Hogsmeade trip because you claimed you didn't feel well. I'm not buying it this time." Pansy chided, standing over me with her hands on her hips. I regretted ever telling her my middle name because she had begun using it as a weapon, not unlike a mother scolding her child.

Everyone else was already downstairs, ready to spend this crisp, late November day in the small village just beyond the grounds of Hogwarts. Just beyond the boundary, I wasn't allowed to leave.

"How am I ever going to get to watch you and Draco fall in love over tea and scones at Madam Puddifoot's if you won't go?!"

I groaned and threw my pillow over my face. She had kept her word that she wouldn't stop pushing—nagging—about my...thing with Draco. And while I appreciated her tenacity, I wasn't going to rush anything and risk ruining it all.

I felt the bed dip next to me and peeked one eye out from under my pillow, expecting to be assaulted by a set of pleading puppy dog eyes, but instead Pansy looked worried.

"If there is some reason you don't want to go, you can tell me, you know that right?"

No, as much as I wish I could, I can't tell you.

...can I?

I had paused too long and her worried expression intensified. I slid the pillow off of my face and gave her a reassuring look.

"I want to go, really," I want so badly to visit the cute little shops with you, Daphne, and Tracey, and sit around in a pub laughing over pints of butterbeer at something stupid Blaise or Theo said, and have Draco invite me to the tea shop that apparently every couple at Hogwarts' goes to for their first date. I want, more than anything, to be normal and get to experience all of these things, "but I just don't feel up to it today."

Pansy stared at me for a few moments, searching my eyes for the truth or maybe waiting to see if I would change my mind, but finally pressed her lips into a thin line and let out a defeated sigh, "I'll bring back some of those peppermint snowflakes from Honeydukes that you liked."

"Thanks, Pans." I gave her a wan smile and she mirrored it.

She got up and I turned to face away from the door, hunkering down in my covers to give the impression that I really was going back to sleep. She was halfway out the door when I heard her pause and give another defeated sigh before the latch quietly clicked shut behind her.

I rolled back over and stared at the green canopy, contemplating actually going back to sleep or waiting twenty minutes to ensure everyone was gone and then heading to the library when the door was suddenly flung back open.

"I hear there is an angel in distress up here," Blaise announced as he strolled right into our room like he owned the place.

"Zabini!" Draco hissed as he appeared in the doorway, refusing to cross the threshold uninvited, but was quickly pushed inside by Pansy, followed closely behind by Theo, Daphne, and Tracey.

I sat straight up at the intrusion and stared at everyone bewildered, "What the hell?"

Blaise seated himself on the edge of my bed, "Parkinson said you wouldn't be joining us in Hogsmeade today because you were feeling ill, so I had to come check on you, my dear. Malfoy is just upset that I thought to do so first." Blaise looked up to give a smug grin just in time to jump up and run around to the other side of my bed before Draco could grab him.

"Zabini, out." Draco ground out, looking like he might dive over my bed at any second and drag Blaise out by his shirt collar.

"Now, Malfoy, what kind of man would I be if I walked out on a friend in need? Although..." Blaise cast his gaze down on me accusingly, "I must say you look rather well."