100 (S5E9)

Lydia mindlessly spun her father's ring around her finger until the skin turned red and raw. She hadn't seen any of the team since she showed up to Quantico that morning and it felt... bare. Her mind was empty, a strange occurrence for her. She wanted to let it drift somewhere more pleasant than there and then, but if she had any thought at all, it was flashes of the scene from yesterday.

So, she spun her ring and stared at the floor and waited.

"They're ready for you," Anderson informed her.

He likely thought she didn't hear him when she didn't look up, but she was just taking the moment to prepare. Slow breaths.

As she stood, JJ stepped out into the hallway and gave her a reassuring nod, before going back to her office.

Lydia glanced back at her retreating figure, as if it might tell her what JJ was thinking. She wanted to know how it had gone, how long JJ had been in there, how in depth she had to explain... But sadly, Lydia couldn't know that from staring at the back of her blonde head.

Chief Strauss waited at the door as Lydia walked into the interview room, her face stern. "Have a seat."

Lydia did as she was told, walking around to the side of the table with the single chair and trying to look as composed as possible.

Once the door was closed, Strauss stepped forward and turned on the recording device in the center of the table, not sitting down across from her just yet. "Please state your name and rank for the record."

"Dr. Lydia Ambers, forensic contractor for the Behavioral Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia."

"And how long have you been working for the BAU?"

"Four years."

"And have you worked under Agent Hotchner that entire time?"

She tried not to let the question slip her up too much. "No, ma'am, for the past 3 months I've been reporting to Agent Morgan."

"Derek Morgan, the acting Unit Chief of the BAU, because Aaron Hotchner's ability to lead was compromised."

Lydia was pretty sure that Strauss did not need to say that for the record, but was trying to get a rise out of her. "Agent Hotchner stepped down from his position after his family went into protective custody, yes," she said, gently.

She refused to let Strauss twist any of her words around on her. Lydia was trained in interrogation techniques. She could not be fooled so easily.

"How would you describe Agent Hotchner's recent behavior?"

"To be honest, ma'am, I haven't seen much of SSA Hotchner since he stepped down. I've only worked one case with the BAU under Agent Morgan, but I did not see much of a difference in Agent Hotchner during that time."

"You mean he was still acting like your boss?"

"No ma'am, I mean he was dedicated to the job."

A pause. "When were you called into the Bureau yesterday?"

"At around 10am, I got a call from Spencer when-"

Fuck. Dr. Reid.

"You mean SSA Spencer Reid," she clarified. "Would you explain your relationship with Dr. Reid for the record?"

Now she really had to step lightly. "Dr. Reid and I have been in a romantic relationship for two years now." A lie, but it was the amount of time Hotch had listed in the system and it was most likely what Spence would say as well.