Help

Another few weeks of silence. Lydia got a few calls from the team during the first week, but slowly they thinned out and disappeared.

She dropped herself onto the couch after her shift at a nearby coffee shop. It wasn't the ideal job, but she needed some form of income to pay rent until she was out of school.

Her professor and her were discussing getting her teaching credentials and getting experience as a student teacher before she retired. The plan was to have her prepared by the upcoming spring semester, still 10 months away.

That was it. She was going to be a teacher. It was a fine career path, especially for someone of her age. And she had time to do something else if it truly didn't suit her.

Lydia's eyes grew heavy and she was just thinking about leaving her grad school work for another day, when someone knocked on her door.

Huffing, she picked herself up once more and checked the peephole. Gideon was hovering outside.

"Did Garcia give you my address?" Lydia asked bluntly, not even fully opening up the door,

"Yes." He looked relieved to see her and Lydia wondered for a moment if Hotch had actually told the team she died. "May I come in?"

She rolled her eyes, but swung the door open, walking back to her couch. "Feel free to sit. I've got nowhere to be."

"Thank you."

There was a chair beside the couch, which he quickly took advantage of. And then he watched her, closely. He watched her close up her computer, pull her legs underneath her, and wait patiently for him to say something. He watched her for some sort of sign that she was happy, upset, or confused to see him there. But she just looked bored.

"You didn't tell me that you were leaving," he began, his voice soft.

Lydia shrugged. "You weren't my boss. Hotch was."

"That's not why I care." He leaned forward resting his forearms on his knees. "Did you think I was going to try to convince you to stay?"

"Were you?"

"Would you have stayed if I had?"

She looked away, shutting her eyes briefly. "I should hope I know what's better for me than you do."

"People love things that aren't good for them," he argued. "No one at the BAU enjoys their job. There's... something else about it that keeps us there."

"There's nothing to keep me there anymore. Enough said."

He paused again, watching her posture. It had tightened, but still she gave up nothing.

"You're such a good actress. If I didn't know you so well, I wouldn't be able to tell that you were scared."

"Scared?" she demanded, biting back a chuckle. Normally Jason frightened her with how well he did his job. But saying she was scared? No way.

"Of course." His responses were so nonchalant, that she couldn't bring herself to argue until she knew what had him so convinced. "Hotch told me that something happened between you and Reid. I'm sorry. I know you two were close. But I also know that the only time you back away from something is when you know you aren't emotionally ready for it. Not because you're afraid of anyone else, but because you are scared of yourself. You think you're a naturally violent person, Lydia. When you and Reid had a fight, you thought you might go too far and someone would get hurt."

"Amazing job," she said sarcastically. "Stellar profile. Except that if I was going to quit anyway, why hold back?"

"There's something more to it. You're not worried about those consequences. There must be other consequences. Does he have something on you?"