The Fox (S1E7)

"First case. Are you ready?"

Lydia glanced at Gideon, an eyebrow raising in the process. "Shouldn't I be? I've done two months of preparedness training. And I'm not exactly out in the field."

He chuckled. "You're a crime scene investigator. Is that not 'out in the field' enough?"

"I just mean: I'm not facing down the bad guys, I don't carry a gun, I sit and look for fingerprints. Not much to get the adrenaline pumping."

When she said that, his face turned to a serious one. "I don't know about that. This case is bad."

She followed him into a conference room and he nodded for her to sit at a circular table, while he opened a case file and started to pin pictures on the wall. And he wasn't lying. They were gruesome.

Lydia was accustomed to, if not entirely comfortable with, looking at some horrifying scenes, but it was rare that children were involved in something so violent.

A family, all killed in a dark room. The scene was a bloody one, almost all of them looking to have been stabbed except the father, who was shot through the head.

Elle was the first to join them and greet Lydia, before swiftly disappearing to grab the others on the team and start the case debriefing. Lydia did her best to assess their willingness on her joining the team as each one entered and shook her hand. Morgan seemed genuinely happy to have her and JJ was automatically polite. Reid, however, was harder to... read. He gave her a curt nod and a, 'Nice to see you again,' before sitting down.

Gideon and JJ went back and forth describing the case: the Crawford family had been found in their basement. It was set up to look like the father had stabbed his entire family before shooting himself. Which would mean the unsub was dead. However, they had a similar case from a month ago.

Scratch similar. The exact same case from a month ago. Every detail. Including the assumption that their killer was dead in the house.

And a bonus was the fact that both families were supposed to go on vacation five days before their bodies were discovered, but they'd only been dead for 24 hours.

It was the perfect set up, Lydia realized. She didn't know what someone would want a whole family for, but this unsub knew how to trap them all at a time when no one would go knocking on their door.

She tried to keep up with them as they spoke, but she was overwhelmed fairly fast. As Morgan and Gideon went over organized and disorganized contributors, JJ introduced a suspect into the pool. A man named Eric Miller, who's ex-wife and children were part of the first family that was killed and who was just picked up by police after a month of being off the grid... with his kids's blood on his jacket.

The physical evidence was fairly damning. And he disappeared for a whole month. That didn't exactly play into his favor. Lucky for her, deciding whether or not he killed them wasn't her job. She just had to find more evidence.

"Was any of his DNA found at the Crawford house?" Morgan asked.

"No." Gideon was immersed in the photos he had. He didn't look up even as he was talking. Lydia was curious what he planned to find in the pictures, but didn't wish to disturb his thoughts.

"Did he know the Crawfords?" Reid continued.

"If he does, he's not saying. In fact, he hasn't said a word since his arrest," JJ finished, leaning back in her seat. "Uh, the Arlington PD has asked us to interview him," she told Gideon.

Reid finally picked out Miller's mugshot and made a sound of disbelief. "If anyone could apply overwhelming force, he's your man," he said, catching a small laugh from JJ.