The Offer

"You got it all sorted out?" Gideon asked Hotch as he walked into his office. It had been a month since their case in Santa Cruz and Gideon had been on Hotch's ass about this since they got back.

"It's... not a job..." Hotch started. "I talked to Strauss and she said that there was no proof that a forensic scientist would be of any benefit to the team. Police departments provide them and local forensic scientists have access to scenes sooner."

"Police departments can also have media liaisons and tech analysts, but we bring in our own," he argued. "I spoke to some of Lydia's old professors and they said that she's not only a good crime scene investigator, but her major was chemistry and she's fit to get a job in DNA analysis or toxicology."

"Gideon, what did I say about not getting involved? Strauss needs proof that she is an asset to the team before paying her a salary. So, I got her to agree to let Lydia work here as an intern under your supervision."

"Done," Gideon said. "By the end of the month, she'll have proven worthy of a spot on this team."

"No, there's more," Hotch told him, frustrated. "She only gets to work jobs that we clearly need her on and she gets no more than two cases every 50 days."

"Fine, fine," Gideon replied, which did nothing to ease Hotch's worry. He, too, had been impressed by Lydia during the Jonathan Carrey case, but there were parameters on hiring people into the FBI and Gideon acted like those meant nothing.

He'd been the same way about Reid after he first spoke to him, but Reid was cut out to be a profiler from day one and they had an opening for him. Gideon wanted Hotch to simply create a brand new job title and salary for Lydia and he couldn't do that.

"Should I call her and tell her to pack up her things and move to DC?"

Hotch blinked. "You haven't already told her about the possibility of a job, have you?"

"No," Gideon laughed. "I can't promise her a job when I don't have the jurisdiction to hire anybody."

That was a relief, but Hotch was still afraid Gideon had let on too much. He had just admitted to calling her professors to learn more about her abilities. So, he replied, "You can tell her that we have an internship position that she might be interested in and ask her about her ability to leave California. That is all."

~ ~ ~

"Agent Hotchner. Agent Gideon," Lydia greeted as she entered the BAU. It was crazy enough to be in Virginia, seeing as she'd never left California, but FBI headquarters?

She shuffled around nervously and adjusted her glasses numerous times despite the fact they were already as far up her nose as they could go.

"Lydia," Gideon greeted, warmly. "How was your flight?"

"It was alright. Exciting. I've never been on an airplane before."

"Oh, I'm sorry. No one should have to go through airport security for their first time alone," Hotch said. "Why don't we step into my office?"

He and Gideon led the way into the bullpen and around to his office. Lydia's eyes darted around, seeing Morgan, Elle, and Reid at their desks, engrossed in their work. She wondered if any of them would even recognize her if she caught their eye. She was surprised enough when Gideon called.

"I assume you've been considering my offer?" Gideon asked, closing the door behind her.

"Considering, yes. But it would be... difficult, to say the least. I'd love to hear it from your mouths... the offer, that is."