I. The Winged Man

THE SUN SHONE SO intensely it was almost too much to bear when the day was at it's hottest. The villagers of Farnloss hoped every day for rain, only to be paid in dust. The dry spell of this side of the country had been going on for a couple of years now, but this particular season it had not rained for several months.

    Farnloss was once a small place of refuge for travelers between cities; a place to relax, sell, and shop for goods. Now, with their river depleting to a flimsy creek and no ready resources available, weary adventurers avoid the hungry village—fearing that they will become the next victims of thievery or illness.

    Raya crouched under the cover of a large tree, feeling a drop of sweat drip down her back underneath her cotton smock. Even the dodgy shade from the trees did not offer solace. The air was dry and hot as she scanned for her and her parents' next meal. The number of beasts in the forest were dwindling, and the ones she did find were skinny at best.

    A rustling nearby made the hunter's ears perk. Raya swiftly and silently drew an arrow from the quiver that was strapped loosely on her back. She took aim with her bow in the direction of the sound, waiting for her prey to make an appearance. Within the same moment, the fowl came shuffling about from a thorny brush, followed by it's chicks.

    Raya nocked, drew, and released her arrow in the span of a single breath; landing a direct hit in the bird's chest. Perfect. The young woman had been polishing her bow skills for the better of fifteen years now. She was taught to never waste her strength or time for too long on a full draw, making her speed and accuracy unmatched in the village.

    Raya smiled as she brushed her dark flyaway hair out of her face. She had been on the prowl since dawn so she supposed it was time for a break, gathering her game and making her way to the dried river. It was about a ten minute walk, but she wouldn't allow herself to take a drink until she was at her resting spot. Raya needed to ration her water after all, not just because of the drought. Her mother had become ill months prior and her health hadn't made any progress yet. She knew her mother needed the water more than she did.

    Raya saw the dried river as she approached, noting that she used to hear the river before seeing it. The thought made her stomach sink. She took in a deep breath and exhaled, hoping to rid herself of the awful feeling, but the hot air did not feel very cleansing. Raya shed her gloves, wrist guards, satchel, bow, and quiver next to a looming tree before climbing as high as the limbs of the tree would allow. She didn't stop her ascent until the branches creaked in protest to her weight.

    Raya carefully adjusted herself before relaxing and taking in the sight of what used to be the main artery of her village, the once was river. She closed her eyes and imagined the sound of wonderful water flowing, almost feeling the cool air emanating, hugging her, and breathing life into her people. A trickle of sweat tickling her temple snapped her out of her imagination. She wiped her face and neck with her smock's sleeve and groaned, opening her eyes again to see the dismal view. She let her shoulders slump while finally allowing herself a drink of water. It felt like bliss mixed with guilt.

    Raya's mother was also a hunter, stoic and strong, before becoming ill. Her father was a studious man, although some may say a bit meek. He did best in his den with his parchments. Now a days he solely cared for his wife, while Raya handled all the hunting and foraging, so she did not get to see her parents as much as she'd like.

    When not hunting solo, she would spend her days with her bow mentor and his son; setting traps and foraging. The son was almost as skilled with the bow and arrow as Raya. The three of them made an impeccable team. She loved learning and growing with her people, but hated to see them suffer. Now there was talk of uprooting everything they've ever known to find some kind of new life in the cities. Something tugged inside of Raya's chest.