IV. The Reprieve

SERIA TOUCHED DOWN without much trouble onto a patch of grass in front of one of the buildings on the island. She gently set Awen down, the man's legs giving out as he collapsed to the ground, staring in awe at the towering buildings.

Raya climbed off of Seria's back, focusing on how green the grass was at her feet. She could hear the waterfall she had seen, the gurgling noises almost foreign to her ears.

"The Oratorium is a sanctum for the Enochi, used as both a place of revitalization and as a place to train for future battles," Seria explained, folding in her wings, "It has served as my abode for nearly a thousand years while I searched for the rest of my kind," she turned to the humans, a wistful look on her face. "It's almost like a dream to have others here."

Awen slowly got off the ground, Raya offering her hand to him to help him get his bearings. "This place looks like a dream. I've never seen so much life."

"This place is shielded from the old gods, so you need not worry about keeping your guard up," Seria pointed to a smaller building nearby, right by one of the waterfalls. "Come, let me show you where you'll be staying."

Raya and Awen followed the Enochi to the building. Like the others, it was made of a light marble that shone in the sunlight with a roof made of clay. As they got closer to it, Raya noticed that it seemed to be nestled right in the center of the island as there were trails that seemed to begin at its entrance that went in all directions. Right next to it was the waterfall and she couldn't contain her gasp as it thundered into a large pool.

Awen immediately ran towards the pool. "This is amazing!" he exclaimed, running to the edge and stooping down. He took out his canteen and filled it up, immediately drinking from it. Water splashed on his cheeks and neck.

"Ah, Awen, wait!" Raya cried out, "we shouldn't just drink from there. Besides, we're guests here, remember?"

Seria giggled. "It's fine. The water is clean and pure and is filtered throughout these living quarters for personal use. Please, if you're thirsty, drink up."

Raya couldn't help how quickly she ran over to the pool and filled up her canteen. The water was crisp and cool and for the first time in years, she finally felt as though her thirst was quenched. She controlled herself from taking another large swig, knowing that Seria still needed to show her and Awen to their rooms. She tapped her friend on his shoulder and he stopped drinking.

"C'mon. Let's get settled and then you can drink more if you want."

***

The inside of the living quarters was much more lavish than Seria had first made it seem. The entranceway itself was gilded with gold and silver, leading to a large staircase that was as long as Seria was tall.

"To the left is the kitchen and dining area. You don't have to use them, as your meals will be delivered up to your rooms. To the right is the lounge area. There is a fire pit and cushions for resting. Up the stairs are the bedrooms and bathing areas. Each bedroom is connected to its own private bathing area, so you'll have your privacy," Seria pointed to the ceiling and Raya noticed a collection of strings crisscrossing from each of the rooms and down to the kitchen area. "There are bells for if you need anything, but my Fray are usually well accustomed to foreseeing the needs of those who reside here."