6. Brooding Bewilderment

Iyan stared out the window vacantly. Frost covered the glass panes and she traced her finger over it, forming simple patterns. Nearly a week had gone by since she and Asena had been brought to Noctis. Iyan had spent most of her time shut up within her room. Every now and then, Asena and Esen would disturb her peace, but for the most part, she was left alone.

    I've got to think of a way to trap Arius, she thought once more. We can't stay here forever. She drummed her fingers on the windowsill. And there must be someone here who can tell me what happened to Lucille. I'm not leaving without her.

    She jumped as the door creaked open. Esen poked her head into the room. "Still brooding? You could almost rival Gabriel," she joked. She stepped inside and leaned against the doorframe.

    "What do you want?" Iyan went back to tracing shapes in the frost.

    "I wanted to take you and Asena into town. I thought you might like to get something to eat." She turned a pointed gaze towards a tray of untouched food sitting near Iyan.

    "I can't eat very much. I'm not used to it."

    "You could eat more than you have been. Even Asena has regained her appetite."

    "Good for her. I can't believe she actually trusts you somewhat."

    "Why don't you?" Esen pushed. "Have we done anything to suggest that we mean you harm?"

    Iyan gave her an incredulous look. "Arius tricked me into being stuck here. I saw a Faerie kidnap my best friend. I..."

    "None of those insinuate that we mean you harm," Esen interrupted. Her usually smiling face turned serious. "You don't know the whole story. Arius tricked you for a reason. When the time is right, he'll tell you why. As to your friend, I don't know who took her, but it was no one within this city." She turned towards the door, then paused. "Maybe you should stop judging us based on the stories you've been told and see who we are for yourself." The door closed behind her.

    Iyan sighed and tucked her legs up against her chest. She bit her lip, thinking. Despite herself, she was becoming rather curious about the Faeries who now surrounded her. If Asena is going, then I suppose I will too, she decided at last. Iyan grabbed her fur lined cloak off a hook and fastened it around her shoulders.

    Esen was standing in the hallway with a grin. "I knew you'd come. Asena is already waiting outside."

    "I don't understand how you got her to trust you so quickly," Iyan said, following her down the stairs. "She hates Faeries as much as I do."

    "I don't have an answer for you." They reached the front door and headed out into the mansion's courtyard. Sure enough, Asena was waiting for them.

    Her eyes brightened, spying Iyan. "Finally. I was worried I'd have to drag you out of that room."

    "You're in a surprisingly good mood." They began walking towards the main gates. Esen remained silent, letting them speak.

    "You've been in a surprisingly bad one." Asena elbowed her side. "It's your own fault, you know."

    "Not entirely," Iyan replied. "The last part of the spell was blotted out, so I didn't know about it. Arius didn't tell me until after I freed him." Her gaze flickered to Esen. The Prince's cousin revealed nothing with her own expression.

    Asena inclined her head. "That might be true, but still. Regardless..." she pursed her lips for a moment. "I suppose I'm somewhat grateful that this happened."