28. Tethers and Blinding Lights

Her paws carried her across the land effortlessly. His scent was thick in the air, or perhaps, it was just her senses honed in on it. She shook her heavy head and ran on. Water flowed close by.

She took a bounding leap and soared over the river. Her talons tore up chunks of earth as she ran on faster. Blood roared in her ears. She parted her jaws, letting the air wash over the roof of her mouth.

She was close. She was so close. She could almost taste his warm blood on her tongue. She snarled and continued to run.

✦❘༻✦༺❘✦

Arius leaned over the railing of his balcony, letting the cold air blow against his face and wings. The pyre had burned out last night thanks to a light snow.

His room was silent and he was grateful for that. The lower levels of the manor, as well as the grounds, were bustling with activity. The army was being summoned. New recruits were being trained. Plans were being made.

Arius stared across the land towards Solis. He rubbed his fingers over the pendant Iyan had given him. He hadn't taken it off since his birthday. He hadn't felt anything more from Iyan since Sybella had checked in on him. He didn't know if that was good or bad.

The door burst open and he turned with a glare. Gabriel was panting, snow covering his charcoal hair. "Scouts reported seeing a creature of some sort crossing the river."

"And?"

"They'd never seen anything like it before. I think it might be linked to the Day Faerie's plan."

Arius grabbed his sword belt and buckled it around his hips. He made sure his leathers were secure before following Gabriel down to the main floor of the manor. "Killian, Sumner," Arius called.

The two generals straightened immediately. "Yes, Sir?" Sumner acknowledged him rather hesitantly. No one seemed to know whether to call him King or Prince anymore.

"Come with us. We're going to check something out."

They nodded and the four of them stepped outside. They took off and flew towards the river. Gabriel angled himself closer to Arius for a moment.

"When are you going to let them crown you?" His cousin asked.

"We don't have time."

"Emeric and Ezlyn will never surrender to you if we somehow gain the upper hand in the coming battle. Not unless you're officially the king."

"I will become king when my people are safe." Arius fixed a cold gaze on him. "They will respect me, whether or not I'm the king in title."

Gabriel nodded and moved away from him. They flew on until the river appeared before them. Arius' eyes widened, spying the creature they'd been warned about. It was massive, bigger than any animal he'd seen before. Fangs as thick as his arms hung over its lower jaw. Cruel talons threw up dirt as it ran. They flashed in the winter sunlight.

Iron, he realized. This creature is the one from Iyan's dream. It certainly looks Day to me. Its fur had a golden sheen. If that is what killed my mother...he pushed the thought away. He couldn't think about that right now.

"Make a sweep of the area and make sure this is the only one," Arius ordered. Gabriel nodded and broke away from the group.

"Should we land?" Sumner asked.

"Don't be a fool," Killian replied. "If we land, it will tear us to pieces."

Arius tuned them out and continued to watch the creature. It had stopped running and was sniffing the air intently. "It's looking for something."