18. The Queen's Demise

Arius eyed the outside of the art studio curiously. Iyan crossed her arms, waiting beside the door. He had been home for two days and they had decided to pay the studio owners a visit, after Arius learned of Iyan's new job and his position as her assistant. She stifled a laugh, recalling the expression he'd made when he heard that term.

Arius flashed her a knowing look and they entered the studio. The owners, Cyrus and Briony, were already expecting them. They both dipped their heads to Arius. Briony took Iyan's hand and led her into their showroom.

"I'm glad you decided to come. I wanted to show you how we arranged the display," Briony said. She swiped a few strands of black hair behind her ear. They moved to the front of the room. Sunlight washed in through the large window, highlighting several art pieces situated on easels and the walls.

Iyan glanced at Arius. He stiffened, his gaze going immediately to his mother's two paintings, which were situated in the center of the room. One was of a wintery landscape. It depicted an iced over pond and two Faeries skating on it. The other was of the night sky. There was a silhouette of an owl painted just beneath the moon.

Iyan also noted the small bouquets of flowers that were situated around the base of those two easels. "We've had many people recognize her pieces and come by to leave flowers," Briony explained, noticing her stare. "I tried having them sent to King Torin but he wouldn't take them."

"I see." Iyan began to walk through the paintings. "Are some of these yours?"

"A few are mine and a few are Cyrus'. The rest of them are from those who attend our lessons."

"You have lessons?" Iyan raised an eyebrow.

Briony nodded. "We let people attend for free and if they sell their art, they give a small portion of the proceeds to us. We use the proceeds to pay for the building and the art supplies. Do you paint?"

"I used to. I haven't in years." Iyan felt Arius turn his gaze towards her. He was still standing near his mother's paintings.

"Perhaps you'd like to come to one of our lessons sometime. We hold them in the afternoon, every other day. We're having one tomorrow, actually."

Iyan thought for a moment, then shook her head. "Maybe someday in the future. Right now, I'm kept fairly busy."

"Of course." Briony turned as the door opened. A few Faeries entered, carrying flowers. She greeted them warmly and moved aside. The Faeries set their flowers down, then seemed to notice Arius.

Iyan narrowed her eyes as they spoke quietly to him. His tanned face went pale and she could see a hint of panic in his eyes. Arius shook his head, backing away from the Faeries. Briefly, he met her gaze, before disappearing in a flash of silver.

The small group faced her, their confusion evident. "Prince Arius had a meeting this afternoon," Iyan said quickly. "We must've lost track of time."

That seemed to appease them. The Faeries began to move about the showroom, admiring the artwork. Briony rejoined Iyan momentarily. "That was...unexpected," she laughed.

Iyan gave her a tight smile. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I need to be leaving as well. I'll be sure to tell King Torin that you've made good use of Queen Rhosyn's pieces."

"Thank you." Briony gave her a small bow and held the door open. Iyan stepped outside and hurried back towards the manor.

What happened back there? She wondered. I've never seen Arius look like that before. She increased her pace and reached the manor in a matter of minutes. Gabriel and Asena were sparring at the training grounds when she arrived.