23. His Only Wish

Iyan took a sip of her drink and laughed along with her friends. They were lounging in the library, watching as Torin made shadow puppets dance on the wall. Currently, he was somehow making the shadows look like two thieves, hitting each other over the head.

Torin straightened at last and gave a small bow. Iyan clapped politely and finished her drink. "You should teach us a human game," Esen suggested, looking at Iyan and Asena.

"I don't really know any," Iyan replied. "I never had time for games."

"I know a few." Asena stood and smoothed out her dress. "Have you ever played charades?" The Faeries shook their heads. Iyan had never played the game, but she'd heard of it. "It's simple. We'll split into teams of two. I'll go with Esen, Gabriel can go with Arius, and Iyan can go with Torin."

They all nodded and split into their teams. "Do you know how this works?" Torin asked, stroking his chin. The corners of his eyes crinkled with amusement.

"Asena has explained it to me a time or two, although I've never played. She'll explain it in a moment."

Asena sat down at a desk and began scribbling onto small bits of paper. She placed them in a bowl after folding them. "To begin, one team will draw one of these. Their job is to act out whatever word or phrase is on the paper. You can't use words, only actions. You are allowed to use your fingers to tell us how many words are being used. While one team is acting, the other teams will be guessing. Since none of you have played before, we won't keep score."

"We'll go first!" Iyan volunteered. Torin followed her to the open space of the room. Asena sat down beside Esen. Torin drew a slip of paper and showed Iyan.

Playing chess

Torin smiled and held up two fingers to the others. Iyan stroked her chin, as if concentrating. She mimed moving a chess piece. Torin pursed his lips and did the same.

"Playing checkers!" Esen shouted.

"Playing chess!" Gabriel and Arius called simultaneously.

They stopped acting and nodded. "The two of you will go next," Asena instructed. Torin and Iyan sat down as they vacated their seats.

Arius and Gabriel eyed their paper briefly. Arius held up two fingers and they began. Iyan cocked her head to the side, amused. Gabriel placed a hand on his chest, as though very emotional. Arius stretched a hand up and opened his mouth silently.

"Screaming person?" Esen guessed.

"Deeply moved?" Torin called.

Gabriel and Arius shook their heads and continued to move around. Gabriel began to bow. Arius simply shook his head and waved his hands around.

Asena clasped her hands together. "Angry couple?"

Arius raised and lowered his hand over his throat. Iyan gasped and almost jumped out of her seat. "Opera singer!" They nodded and began to laugh.

They played several more rounds, each one more humorous than the last. Iyan finally had to sit down as her side began to ache from all of her laughter. Torin wiped his eyes, laughing as well.

"I'd say we did very well," he sighed at last.

"I agree. We were probably the best," Iyan giggled. Everyone threw her dirty looks.

Torin stood, finally. "I think I'll retire for the night. Try not to disturb anyone."

"Arius, get out. You're disturbing me," Esen snickered.