003

A male who looked about my age entered the castle and bowed in my direction.

"Who are you?" I asked curiously.

"Call me Gray, your majesty. I'll be working here as a replacement for the, ahem, old chef."

I stared in confusion until I realized he meant the old chef I had framed for murdering the king.

"Ah, I see. Welcome."

He gave me a nod and walked in the direction of the kitchen.

---

1:30 am

It was finally time.

I crept through the hallways silently, and gently pulled open the creaking bedroom door. James was lying on his bed, peacefully asleep. 

Finally.

I made sure to be cautious, and looked around, checking the hallway one more time and making sure he was sound asleep. My heart was racing, and I enjoyed every second of the adrenaline.

Just a little more, and I'll be queen.

Just a little more.

I reached for my dagger, now excited. 

"What are you doing, princess?"

I froze.

The voice was gentle but firm and suspicious. I slowly turned around to see Gray. By the knowing look on his face, I was pretty much done for. 

"I was just checking on my fellow brother. Yesterday he mentioned having trouble sleeping due to the tragic death." I smiled.

"Oh okay, I thought so." Gray obviously lied. "Make sure not to do anything you'll regret. Other people's lives are worth more than anything, you know."

There was a silence. I gave him another forced smile and returned to my room. The second the door shut, I screamed into my pillow in anger.

"Who does he think he is?" I ranted. 

I had trouble sleeping that night, because I kept thinking the same thought, over and over.

How the hell did he find out?